Options

XP Support stops Dec 2008

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I am very surprised to find MS stop supporting XP in Dec 2008

They have 6 years worth of XP customers, how many of these will be pushed onto Vista by corporate standard requiring MS support.

By Dec 2008 Vista should be very stable but even then many will need a new PC

That will be the turning point for MS profits, they supported Windows 3.0 & 3.1 for a further 6 years upon release of Windows 95, this end of support for XP is purley to boost profit even when most people would be happy staying with XP

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    This has changed, see Microsoft's new timetable (they have only recently changed it).

Mainstream Support Retired: 14/04/2009
    Extended Support Retired: 08/04/2014

Microsoft is aiming to stop new distributions of licences by 2008, I believe this is due to public out-cry.

-Ken
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Their written policy I believe is to end OS mainstream support two years after the release of the next version. After that date, they will still issue security updates until the extended support deadline. In the case of XP they extended it.

They need to make the standard at least 3 years IMO.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Thats good to here, XP will no doubt live alongside Vista for many many years to come

Lee H
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like XP, because I still have problem with vista at work... Big issues...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn