Options

Basic 2950 configuration

Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
First question is how do you turn this thing off? I can't find the freaking off button and the Cisco documentation only says the following: "Before connecting or disconnecting ground or power wires to the chassis, ensure that power is removed from the DC circuit. To ensure that all power is OFF, locate the circuit breaker on the panel board that services the DC circuit, switch the circuit breaker to the OFF position, and tape the switch handle of the circuit breaker in the OFF position. Statement 140". Link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/hardware/quick/guide/2950gsg2.html

However, I don't see any breakers anywhere. And btw, do I need an external power supply for this thing or something? There is a 14 pin power connector available, but my switch didn't come with any external power supply device and the switch itself powers on and runs well from Hyperterminal with just the AC power cord plugged in.
Starting my CCNA journey!

Comments

• Options
    Btw, what version do you guys recommend for 2950 IOSes? Should any 12.1 version do?
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    cisco switches don't have power switches - just unplug it. it sucks, specially when you have 4 of them in your rack and you only use 1. then its really loud.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    ^ Thanks for the quick response. Btw, do you know if 2950s require an additional power supply input besides the AC cable?
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    no, mine and all the ones i've seen have a DC power input for what i'm guessing is to plug into a UPS of some sort for redundancy i guess.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    1 x AC power input for normal power plug

1 x DC power input for RPS (Redundant Power Supply)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP