Options

Cover letters. and salary questions.

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Can someone explain to me the purpose of a cover letter? i have never used one before and i dont know how to create one. Whats a good cover letter for IT people or isnt there any standards? Also recently ive been looking for a new job and ive noticed that a lot of companies ask for salary info. Now im a little confused here, where would i inculde my salary information? on the resume itself or on the cover letter? Also this salary info that they want, is it of the salary that im making right now or the salary that i hope to make if i get hired?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    if you google cover letter you can find good examples. I try to tailor mine towards what I'm applying for rather than keeping one standard one. This is your chance to introduce yourself and explain why you would make a good candidate.

good luck :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The information in the cover letter is specific to the company and position that you are applying for, while the information in your resume is related to your general employment history and skills. What you would write in the body of an email with your resume attached is the equivalent to the cover letter.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only use a cover letter when applying by mail or in person. Otherwise, I put similar but abbreviated content in the body of the email in which I send the resume.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cover letter is used to sell yourself to the company, just like a product. The top 10 fortune companies always look for coverletter as least that how thing go in my area.

Cover letter is a must for mailing. However, when you email for job. You also need to have a simple cover letter style body with resume attached to the email.

A can tell you that a good cover letter will definitly help you to land an interview.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn