Options

Home LAB

ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I am interested to build CCNA lab and I have got two cisco router 2516 series and one Cisco switch 2950. two console cables and power cables. What else I need to make a CCNA Level Home Lab?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the Forum FAQ to see what others have used/suggested.

Four routers and 3 switchs is usually enough for the CCNA. 3 routers and 2 switches might get you by.

One of the routers should have a 100mb interface for "router-on-a-stick" (or be a 2610 with the right IOS to support trunking on a 10mb interface). One should be useful as a frame-relay switch (but someone should check this for the updated CCNA -- still doing Frame Relay?). One of them also being a terminal server would be convient.

No 1900 switches.... at least one 2950 (or 2960) if you have the money. The others could be 2924 XL Enterprise switches -- again, with the updated CCNA being the only option soon, someone will have to do some research.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whats wrong with the 1900s? i just purchased a lab off of ciscokits.com. I can't log in to the switch, all I get is modem AT commands on the screen
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should have done your research before you spent money on gear. 1900's are obsolete and have a different command set than the exam. The test will be based off of modern IOS feature sets. Try your best to get rid of those switches and pick up a couple of 2924's. You need 2 switches minimum, 3 switches to get the full study you will need.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    whats wrong with the 1900s?
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18138
    I can't log in to the switch, all I get is modem AT commands on the screen
    Did you set your terminal emulation to the proper COM port -- are you using a laptop (or PC) with a built in modem?

If you power cycle the switch, do you get anything other than modem commands as it boots up?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!