Options

good freeware inventory software...recommendations?

The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Outside of my 40 hour a week job I work off and on at a local computer shop. Recently, Ive been asked to research developing a inventory system for customer information, what we have on hand...and the like.

Now, generally I just use excel/open office spreadsheets but I think we need something more streamlined than that. Anyone have any ideas or pointers?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    If you don't need to track serial numbers, you can use quick books, it has a pretty decent POS built it as well.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a candidate for a simple database. Depending on the level of detail/activity/information, you could probably just do this in Access and then create forms for end users to submit/update/retrieve the desired information.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    gsmmcgsmmc Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I happened upon this post from Google and thought that this additional information might be helpful if anyone else that does the same.

http://free.businessaviator.com

The software at the site above is completely free inventory software (not shareware or a trial, with no expiration) that can be used for more complex inventory needs (like multiple locations, categorization and for utilizing different inventory valuation methods).

It also integrates with QuickBooks software rather nicely so it's ideal for those that are using QB and require extended inventory functionality.

Hope this finds everyone in good health,
    Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Source Forge is another good place too look for free software.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you don't need to track serial numbers, you can use quick books, it has a pretty decent POS built it as well.

I track serial numbers by using QB. Why can't he?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    POS = Point Of Sale

Lobster needs a product inventory application and not a cash register program. QuickBooks has a lot of inventory management functionality.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, take a look at some accounting software.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn