Options

Half duplex to full duplex is working !!!!

DowimaDowima Inactive Imported Users Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all ,
I'm trying to experience a scenario here.
I want to see symptoms of connecting a full duplex mode switch to half duplex mode computer speed for both 100.
When i do this..... they simply communicate and i can ping every where from my pc ?
I'm running Vista on my PC and my NIC support up to Giga speed.
The switch is 2900XL.
CCIE ,
I'll get you .

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Run show interfaces for that port and check the number of collisions, it's probably very high.
  • Options
    Shouldn't i get an error from network icon in my PC saying: Limited connection
    CCIE ,
    I'll get you .
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, but you probably will recieve a ton of collisions between the switch and PC. Like Johan said to a show int on the switchport you are plugged into. You should collisions on the interface be cause on port is using full-duplex and the other is using half-duplex
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It should work, you may see the switch port light up as amber though, I've seen that many times where I go into a network closet and see a few amber ports and after dropping the port to 10-half the light goes green and works normally.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may see a number of collisions, or in the case of the full duplex side they may just show up as crc errors (since the collision detection circuits are disabled) If you have them connected with a straight through connection and the switch is set to full duplex, it makes sense there aren't any problems due to the fact you're the only two devices in the collision domain (remember the switch will still make collision domains even though the PC is in half duplex.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee You really did clear my point .....
    I didn't get any collisions by all scenarios
    CCIE ,
    I'll get you .