Options

Dynamips Setup question

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, I am having trouble with dynamips on a serial interface, the problem is when I edit the simple2.net file to include a serial interface for two fo the routers I get this error.
Reading configuration file...

*** Error: Attempt to connect to non-existent interface in slot 1 on device R1
Press ENTER to continue

I added a line from simple1.net to the config of router 1 and then it started bombing out. I have tried adding this before and after my Ram and Nvram files get created in the labs directory. Please help

Thanks in advance

Here is a copy of the simple2.net

# Another simple dynagen configuration file
#
# All the f0/0 interfaces are on VLAN 1 and the F1/0 interfaces are on VLAN 2

[localhost]

image = \Program Files\Dynamips\images\c7200-p-mz.122-12.bin
# On Linux / Unix use forward slashes:
# image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image
npe = npe-400
ram = 160

ROUTER R1
console = 2001
f0/0 = LAN 1
f1/0 = LAN 2
s1/0 = R2 s1/0 << this is the only line I have added

ROUTER R2
console = 2002
f0/0 = LAN 1
f1/0 = LAN 2

ROUTER R3
console = 2003
f0/0 = LAN 1
f1/0 = LAN 2

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your config has f1/0 and s1/0 on the same device.

*** Error: Attempt to connect to non-existent interface in slot 1 on device R1 ********

This error tells me problem with slot 1, looking at my config i have a fast ethernet interface and a serial interface both using slot 1 port 0 , so using my troubleshooting ability i can deduce that this config is screwed and i should modify s1/0 to s2/0.Lesson learned, read error messages, practise troubleshooting before requesting help.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    not sure if this will help, but i was having some troubles with dynamips until i added the drive letter in the image = section..

so it was something like

image = c:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\c7200-p-mz.122-12.bin

that seemed to fix everything up and i have labs with 10+ routers running perfectly..
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can't have the serial and fast ethnet module in the same slot. F1/0 and s2/0 or vice versa should work. You can also specify what moule you want in the slot with the slot1 = XXX.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, for the help, Ed I am very knew to cisco and did not know this, I did try changing the number but since I wasn't aware of the meaning of slot numbers I probably didn't change the right part of the number. I did try and troubleshoot this.