Options

What could cause computers not to register with DNS server ?

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I am testing a senerio, And from what I can see I can ping almost all devices on the network by the name not Ip address except 1 computer which for some reason I can ping with the Ip address but not the actual computer name.
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would check the following:

1. Make sure it has the correct DNS server.
    2. Make sure that it's on the same segment/vlan/subnet.
    3. Make sure that there is no Primary DNS Suffix appended.
    4. Make the client a member of the domain.
    5. Under advance TCP/IP settings enable register to DNS.

This is what I can remember so far, hope it helps a bit.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you ping the host name does it resolve to a different address and then time out, or does it give you a "host could not be found"?

Tell us what is different about this computer from the other computers on your network.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the DHCP service had a key role to play in registering with DNS. Even on a static network, I think that if you have the DHCP service disabled that you would be unable to register DNS.
  • Options
    Router#ping computerclient4
    Translating "computerclient4"...domain server (192.168.15.2)
    % Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

This is what I get when I ping the computer name form the router. I can ping the Ip address though
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are all these computers in a domain or workgroup?

Is 192.168.15.2 a Windows DNS server or are you using something else?

For the computers that you can't ping by name are they in your dns record? Do you have NETBIOS running as a backup for DNS?

Is the DNS client service running on all PC's?

For the PC that cannot ping using an IP, what message are you recieving when it fails? Is there a firewall configured on that PC?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you running your own DNS server or using an ISP DNS server? If you are just using your ISP you'll not be able to ping by computer name unless you also have a WINS server.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I can sometimes I amaze my self at how I overlook things. Thanks guys for help. Problem solved icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    nice343 wrote:
    I can sometimes I amaze my self at how I overlook things. Thanks guys for help. Problem solved icon_lol.gif

What was it, for the inquiring minds who want to know? :)
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the DHCP service had a key role to play in registering with DNS. Even on a static network, I think that if you have the DHCP service disabled that you would be unable to register DNS.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

For clients greater that Win2000 (Win2000, WinXP, Server2003) When a client is setup to get a dynamic IP from the DHCP server, the DHCP server will only register the PTR record, while the client itself will register the A record.

If a client is older than Win2000 (Win98, Win95), the DHCP server will attempt to register both the PTR and A records.

If a client has a static address, it will attempt to register both the A and PTR records with the DNS server.
  • Options
    JdotQ wrote:

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

For clients greater that Win2000 (Win2000, WinXP, Server2003) When a client is setup to get a dynamic IP from the DHCP server, the DHCP server will only register the PTR record, while the client itself will register the A record.

If a client is older than Win2000 (Win98, Win95), the DHCP server will attempt to register both the PTR and A records.

If a client has a static address, it will attempt to register both the A and PTR records with the DNS server.

I think he was referring to the fact that it's the DHCP client service, not DNS client service, that registers DNS records. Which is correct by the way.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    sprkymrk wrote:
    nice343 wrote:

What was it, for the inquiring minds who want to know? :)

Agreed :) We want to know the solution!