Options

Good to go?

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have the Sybex and Exam Cram 2 study guides. The practice test, audio review and voucher code from Preplogic. The technotes and practice questions from Techexams.

I am also going to read through the CEH Exam Prep study guide and the Protect Your Windows Network: From Perimeter to Data book that sprkymrk recommended.

Are there any other resources I should look into for the exam?

thanks
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like you are all set. The Sybex and Tech Notes will be your best resourses, the Exam Cram is just so-so, but I like it because it's portable.

The book I recommended isn't really geared toward the Security+, so while it was one of my all time favorite reads I don't know if it will be applicable toward the exam. It's more of a real-world security for Windows book.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think you have a very good and complete package already, but if you want to add some more I suggest going for a CISSP or SSCP book. Both cover many of the same concepts, but go a little further. Not necessarily deeper, but more elaborate.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

sprkymrk - Right now i'm thinking about taking the 70-299 exam after Security+, so I think that books likes like a good one to bridge the two together.

Webmaster - I was thinking about that because I am planning on going for one of the exams, i'm just not sure which one. I think i'm going to wait because Shon Harris' new All-in-one is getting released in November.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, well in that case it should be helpful. Good luck on both exams. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

sprkymrk - Right now i'm thinking about taking the 70-299 exam after Security+, so I think that books likes like a good one to bridge the two together.

Webmaster - I was thinking about that because I am planning on going for one of the exams, i'm just not sure which one. I think i'm going to wait because Shon Harris' new All-in-one is getting released in November.

If you are going to pick up the AIO and are in no hurry to read it I would recommend waiting. Out of all the CISSP books I read it definitely flows the best and is the easiest read. If you have a lot of experience or read a lot of other books some of the descriptions may be too elementary for you, but it really helps in areas you are unfamliar with. You already saw my thread in the (ISC)2 forums about what I used and which ones I found to be most helpful. You will likely need more than just any one book for the CISSP exam, but it seems that the AIO would be very helpful for the Security+ exam as well. The reason I suggest waiting is that many of the things listed as proposals that may be available soon are already in existance and I am sure a number of new topics can be covered. There was a lot of legacy information listed to fill in the history and I doubt that will be removed especially without any major revision to the CISSP exam (other than the names of some domains) that the book was designed for.

After having started the Sybex book for Security+ last night and looking over the technotes on Saturday for Security+ I am glad I started with the CISSP exam first actually. It really gives you a broader scope of the topics than what you find in the Security+ books (since they are designed for that specific exam) so it doesn't leave as many holes. It seems like preparing for Security+ will be very easy now after having prepared for the CISSP exam first.

Security+ definitely seems to be more focused on the technical aspect than the Management/Consultant aspect, however it still does not contain much depth and a lot less width.