Options

VTP

elementourelementour Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
if you have 2 switches in the same vtp domain, one set to server with support for 250 vlans with say 100 vlans configured. the downstream switch is set to client but can only support 64 vlans what would happen?. i always thought the the downstream switch would import the first 64 vlans but when i tried this the downstream switch was forced to transparent mode and did not import any vlans from the server.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YEah that is how it's designed to work, the switch will put itself into transparent mode.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    elementourelementour Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok so if a downstream cat supports less vlans that is configured on the vtp server it will go to transparent mode without importing any vlans. i guess thats why it was going it. cheers
  • Options
    If you try to make more than the allowed number of vlans (or allowed stp instances) it will give you a message about this:
    Proposed configuration has too many VLANs for this device's core memory
    resources.  Either reduce the number of VLANs proposed or use another VTP
    device to configure database.  (The latter will cause this device to enter
    TRANSPARENT mode automatically if propagated to it.)
    APPLY VLAN changes failed.

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    No kidding?!?! Lokee... great information. I wouldn't have had a clue.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    if you run into this problem, typically the access switch dosen't really need all the VLANS, so put it in transparent mode, create the VLANs you need, then edit the allowed VLAN list on the distribution switch trunk ports to allow only the required VLANs