Options

CCNA passed!

jncarterjncarter Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I finally got there. I passed the CCNA 640-801 today. It seems everyone always wants to know how people prepared so here is my 2 cents. First a quick thank you to everyone else who has shared their experiences, as it was a great help to me.

I started studying about 8 weeks ago. I purchased Wendell Odom's 2 book set and read both front to back (probably a couple of times by time it was done). I also purchased 2- 2610, 1- 1720, and 1-2924. I would have liked a couple more switches but I had already spent a small chunk of change.

Now for a bit about my background. I am the enterprise architect for a local government. So I deal with networking A LOT. There were two big challenges for me. The first is that we are a Procurve shop. Secondly we have private fiber out the wazoo(yes I am a bit spolied!) so it has been a while since doing anything with p2p connections, with exception of our voice pri's.

So that is my two cents. Now it is time to take a short break for a month or so and start moving on. I am thinking CCDA and MCSE, I am just not sure which will be first yet.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_cool.gif

Come to the dark side jncarter! Bill Gates wants you to experience the power of the MCSE!

icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man, well done. What else did you use for simulations ?
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Nicely done, sir.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    The Odom books came with a great practice exam. It had router sims, drag and drop, the whole bit. If you miss something it tells you where to ref. in the books and gives explanations as to why the correct answer is correct.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Congrats! icon_cool.gif

Come to the dark side jncarter! Bill Gates wants you to experience the power of the MCSE!

icon_lol.gif

Truer words were never spoken, MS is an absolute must in IT, know it in and you will never be without a well paid job in IT.

Ohh and gratz, the CCNA is super challenge in itself! Now go get blind drunk drunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

You might as well sneak in an MS exam.... the new edition of the Teare book for the new version of the CCDA DESGN exam won't be out until October 17th.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah yes, the irresistible lure of Microsoft MCSE! :)

Congrats. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congratz! I hate Microsoft (I hate computers in genaral), but unfortunatley it is nessecary to have some knowledge on Microsoft. I never touch servers or clients, but the sys admins always blame everything on the network so it is nice to have some idea what you are talking about to prove its not!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude!! icon_thumright.gif
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    manonthemoonmanonthemoon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job. I know you must feel good now.
  • Options
    I can definately breath a big sigh of relief now. mikej412, thanks for the heads up. It sounds like I have a plan now. My shop has drank the MS Koolaid, so the MCSE will definately come in handy. I think the CCNA/MCSE would be a pretty good combo, so many people seem to want those seperately or in combination.