Options

What am I doing wrong???

PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
Well i took my 640-801 today, and failed it for the thrid time (the previous 2 times taken were 6 months to 1 year ago, and it seemes i keep getting 770-790 on this test.

Im not sure what it is, but I am definatly at a loss. Here is my report (im embarassed so please don't laugh to hard at me)

Planning & Design - 75%
Implementation & operation - 66%
Troubleshooting - 72%
Technology - 53%

What really sucks for me, is during the test, there were no real suprises, and I felt confident I knew them.. not overconfident like (oh this is cake) but (well heres why it IS, and heres why its NOT) so i gave it plenty of elaborate thought.

I just don't know what to do now, I want to pass this before November mainly because I have already taken classes 1 yr ago for the 640-801.

I am just at a total loss, i cant take it again until next monday, but im not sure if i should retake it that soon or later in that week.
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• Options
    Also a minor note, you think maybe I should try the 2 exam option instead of the single exam?
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    what books do u have?

ill recomend u to read the sybex book 640-801, it cover alot of stuff on the test also write notes and keep reading, then take tests and do labs
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Options
    I have the cisco press books and the ccna fast pass by todd lamalle

I have taken notes from both books and even got some practice exams and kept taking them to the point they seemed easy enough and repetative

and yet I STILL fail.. i know cisco isn't out to get me, but it sure as heck feels like it.. I just don't know what to do at this point.. i mean its pretty depressing to virtually get the same score each time and still fail.... and i don't know how else to approach this either.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    read the cisco site on the topics your weak in ( also noted on this and the past score report) and also look at the lab examples on the site as well. you need to get another test software as well. if using boson try exam cram or transcender
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Plazma wrote:
    kept taking them to the point they seemed easy enough and repetative

that may be one problem sounds like you began to just learn the answers to those specific questions...i'd study some more and try out a different practice exam then access what youre still weak on.

also what kind of hands on practice have you done, this is most important...i wouldn't have felt as calm and confident on my intro exam if i hadn't bought routers to practice on...let us know what we can help you with. just dont give up yet there were plenty of times i felt like i would never learn everything.
  • Options
    Plazma wrote:
    Also a minor note, you think maybe I should try the 2 exam option instead of the single exam?

what is your background in networking?? I was going to take the compostie exam but decided to break it up...let us know
  • Options
    Well i have been playing with some router sims such as semsim and even boson netsim (may have been an older one, but it covered most things except OSPF i think)

Its been a while since I had access to a real lab though.

I have thought about getting the following

2 2500 series routers

2 catalyst switches (1900 or above probably)

ill plan on reviewing what FAQ for home labs here shortly. I would like to take this exam once again as soon as I can, and wish to complete it before Nov. But i don't want to super rush anything.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    1 year ago i took the ccna courses for 640-801 in college, the networking acadamey

I have just heard that its kinda of a waste to split it up because the ICND i hear is about as hard as the 640-801 and the INTRO is pretty weak..

Im primarily a unix admin now and have a lot of exp in that, but i also love the networking stuff and i figure if i can't get a job in *nix admining, i can do it doing network engineering as I kinda do it on the job already.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    I guess another thing is how does one know when there "ready" to tackle this beast of a test or tests?
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I knew I was ready when everytime I picked up a cisco press book, I felt like the material was becoming monotonous and repetitive. Everything I read, I felt like I already knew( On a CCNA level of course).

I also had a pretty good idea I was ready when i could setup any technology covered in the CCNA on the fly. Didn't have to look at command references, didn't need a ? to finish commands. Subnet out my networks on the fly. Be able to set things up and then modify it and play around with it. Topics like frame-relay, routing protocols, VLAN VTP, STP. Make it do things you want it to do and not just let the technologies behave as default. explore and apply my friend. Another way I knew I was ready was when I could visualize in my mind what all the outputs to show and debug commands were. I use a photographic memory for some things and other methods of memorization for other things. You will begin to aquire that after hours of playing with gear. I think the key to anything certification or academia wise, is to know your own learning style and what works best for you.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    netstudent hit the nail on the head...can't describe it much better hence why he has his ccna already :D
  • Options
    Well I can subnet in my head and do most ACL's in my head.. well the wildcard masking and so forth..

perhaps i just need more practice.. i get so bored with the simulators I have seen or done .. perhaps i should just invest in 2 2501's and a 2950 switch.. 2501's are pretty cheap these days and a 2950 prob isnt to terrible on ebay.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plazma wrote:
    Well I can subnet in my head and do most ACL's in my head.. well the wildcard masking and so forth..

perhaps i just need more practice.. i get so bored with the simulators I have seen or done .. perhaps i should just invest in 2 2501's and a 2950 switch.. 2501's are pretty cheap these days and a 2950 prob isnt to terrible on ebay.

this would be a good idea, but you could bypass the 2500s and get 2600s, also you need to do this fast.. i would also look dynamips as an option( sometimes you spend more time trying to get it to run.. thats just my experience) but having live gear helps to burn in problem solving with the devices .. besides hearing the fans run has a calming peace to labbing icon_wink.gif but if you anything like me the fans have a good back drop the the loud music icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    sblsbl Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like Technology section is your biggest downfall. You need to come up a little in the other 3 but a lot in that one.

It's mainly memorization of OSI model; what works with what; characteristics of various routing/switching protocols etc etc. Some say it is the easiest of all the 4 major areas but it requires a lot of study unless you happen to be familiar with most of the subject matter from years of work experience on a diverse network.

Perhaps you are taking it too lightly though and not studying it enough???
  • Options
    I guess one thing i deal with is lack of confidence so no matter how much i study i feel like I will never be ready.. not sure if thats normal or not

I feel like i study enough sometimes, but then again I don't know how much "too much or to little studying" is
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plazma wrote:
    not sure if thats normal or not
    I've never walked out of an exam thinking "I studied too much" -- but it is nice to find out afterwards that you studied (and learned) more than you needed.

About 1/3 the time the reason I took the exam was because I didn't feel like studying the material anymore and wanted to see if I had "studied enough."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!