Options

Study Material for 70-290

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guy's

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but I'm going to ask it again. I was hoping anyone who has taken and passed the 70-290 maybe able to recommend some study resources.

I have had my fingers burned in the past with buying expensive training software which is nothing more than a glorified book. Recently I also purchased Quick cert materials I got a fairly good deal Network+, Secuirty+, 70-290 and 70-291 for £200 so £50 each is okay. However I have found that their material only skims over the topics and it was not enough for me to pass the exam.

I have come to learn from my mistakes and sites like Techexams that for me the best way to get certified is to use lots of different resources and don't rely on one resource to get you through the exam.

My approach for this exam will be to review the QuickCert videos I bought and to read two books. I have had a brief look through the forums and have seen some people recommend the MS Press Training Kits book and Exam cram so I'm thinking of using these two.

I just wanted to get some feedback from fellow members whether they thought these two books would do the job or if there is others they prefer. Any opinons are really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The exam cram is an overview and not a full study guide. Its main advantage is that it is more portable then the other study guides. If you are not very familiar with the material, you may want to pick up a second study guide from Sybex or Syngress.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that Exam Cram is more of an overview and should not be used as a primary study guide. I did mention that I would be using the MS Press Book by Dan Holme. This would be my main study guide complemented with the Quickcert Videos. Do you think MS Press book with Exam cram is a good combination then?
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Its the combination I've used a couple times and its a good one. The ms-press for 70-290 is very good and cover just about everything. The exam cram is useful to review and you can bring it everywhere so you can review whenever you have time.

Dont forget to setup 1 or 2 actual servers (vm or physical) and play with it.
    Breaking it, fixing it, tweaking it, etc... Hands-on is the most profitable learning experience.
    Also add techexams and technet to your ressources list, they can be very helpful.

Good Luck !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on your background with the Windows server. I just completed the 292 exam and used the Sybex study guide and the Passport book (similiar to the Exam Cram) for the 290 portion of the exam. I spent most of my time in the Sybex book and hardly looked at the passport book after the initial review. If you do not have a good background in Windows Server you may need the more detailed information in a second study guide to help some topics click. Reading something from two different prospectives may help.

I have used the study guide / review book combination in the past for a number of exams and it has worked for me.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete