Options

The Beast has won the battle this time...Passed 880!

ITBarbarianITBarbarian Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I went into the beasts lair and came out broken and bruised. I tried to combat him with Sybex, Net G video courses and lab work, but he was immune. I left the lair wounded but i vowed to come back. icon_evil.gif

Score: 593

Tons of WSUS and DNS with several GPO questions and some DHCP, RRAS, VPN and IPSEC.

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much ipsec? this is my biggest weakness.

Good score by the way, but you can't just kill it with bow and arrows, you need to bring your barbarian sword :P
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take a couple of weeks to recover your strength and pratice your skills. Maybe pick up a different weapon for battle like the 70-291 MS Press book. Hit the beast head on and destroy it.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    IPSEC maybe 3-4 questions but also 3-4 questions on Network Monitor which i was not expecting.

Know its capabilities and how to setup display and capture filters.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does someone knows if the "Train Signal Lab 08 Virtual Private Network" covers ipsec and network monitor in great details? I currently have this on my arsenal.

I would also like to say that "Train Signal DNS" perhaps is the best study material that made DNS crystal clear for me.
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Tons of WSUS and DNS with several GPO questions and some DHCP, RRAS, VPN and IPSEC.

Don't worry about the score. Think of it as a test drive. Now you know what your weakness is. Please focus on your weakness but also concentrate the stuffs you already know.

Before taking the exam, please do PLENTY of hands on. Build your lab, setup scenarios, such as zone transfer, AD replication, GPO in OU level, WSUS, and IPSEC. I found this is so helpful for this exam. This is an exam that is hard to pass by just reading a book. There is a reason this exam is called beast.

You will kill the beast next time.

Good Luck to you. :D
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    taktsoi wrote:

Don't worry about the score. Think of it as a test drive. Now you know what your weakness is. Please focus on your weakness but also concentrate the stuffs you already know.

Before taking the exam, please do PLENTY of hands on. Build your lab, setup scenarios, such as zone transfer, AD replication, GPO in OU level, WSUS, and IPSEC. I found this is so helpful for this exam. This is an exam that is hard to pass by just reading a book. There is a reason this exam is called beast.

You will kill the beast next time.

Good Luck to you. :D

I agree, take your time and make sure you do the best to ensure you're well rested (helps with studying and test taking). It is a brutal beast, for me it was a giant monster and I was a sick ant. (I was pretty darn sick until the last couple times I took it).
    It took me multiple attempts icon_redface.gif until I finally slayed the beast. I realized that I should have brought an Abrams M1A2 tank instead of showing up on a unicycle with only rotten tomatoes. icon_jokercolor.gif
    Seriously though, this one is tough but it'll feel all the better when you pass this one. I'd reccomend using a virtual enviroment (Vmware Workstation or Virtual PC) and test with at least a client and a DC with everything on it.
    If you can, get your hand on the MSpress book for this. Although it's the size of an American English Dictionary (no kidding), it'll cover the test objectives quite well, plus it comes with an evalution version of server 2003 and bonus materials on the CD (including a PDF e-book version).
    You'll knock the beast out next time. icon_thumright.gif
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    I returned to the beasts lair this morning after finding the ancient scrolls of MSPRESS, which told me the beasts weaknesses.

I carved him up with an 880 and must say im relieved the beast is dead.

Added MSPress to the arsensal for the second attempt. The MSPress book is excellent and would highly recommend to anyone taking this test.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LoL I'm glad you sound like you are at least having fun with it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I am glad you have saved your village from this monster.

I myself am faced with a similar challenge. Word around here is that there is a beast of the same nature that I will be up against next month. I have requested the ancient MSPress scrolls from the High Wizard "Amazon", which arrived today. I hope they serve me as well as they did you.
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    good job!!
    will be taking mine soon but i know the beast will kick my a$$ the first time.

Congratz
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Congrats! I hope to go into battle again by the end of the month. Just have to take a little bit more time to gather my troops and make sure we have all the weapons we need icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Sanger80Sanger80 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I returned to the beasts lair this morning after finding the ancient scrolls of MSPRESS, which told me the beasts weaknesses.

I carved him up with an 880 and must say im relieved the beast is dead.

Added MSPress to the arsensal for the second attempt. The MSPress book is excellent and would highly recommend to anyone taking this test.

I think I am going to take your advice and pick that up this weekend. I guess I have to wait a month and will have plenty of time to read it since the beast slayed me twice in a row.
  • Options
    wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I skimmed the MS Press 291 book and I agree that its one of the best weapons for this exam. Im pumped to pass 290, just so I can take on the BEAST!

congrats on your pass, IT Barbarian! I can imagine that the battle looked like this... :D

BTW, if you google image "The beast 70-291", a bunch of our avatars show up icon_cool.gif

uni133.jpg
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security