Options

Entering "The Beast" lair this Monday - PASSED 920

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've studied almost every resource that I was able to get my hands on.

Trainsignals DNS/DHCP/Routing and Packets/VPN
Testout 70-291
CBT Nuggets
MS-Press 70-291
Transcenders
Techexams 70-291 sample questions

I think it's time to take a visit to the beast.

Comments

• Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    If you've used all those resources properly, I would agree -- it's time to go into battle icon_cool.gif

Have you done exercises in a home lab setup, in a VM environment?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jbaello wrote:

Testout 70-291
    CBT Nuggets
    MS-Press 70-291
    Transcenders

Hey good luck with your test.

I see you have used a lot of practice questions in your preparation. Which are the best books to read for this exam in your opinion? I may revisit windows networking when I get a chance but would like some advice on appropriate study books. Man it's been ages since I did an MS cert.

TIA
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Make sure you have PLENTY of HANDS ON as well . When you take your exam, take your time, read every word carefully because this exam will throw you off with alot of unnecessary keywords. Then you are good to go.

Good Luck.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

Testout 70-291
    <a href=http://www.cbtnuggets.com/techexams target=”_blank”>CBT Nuggets</a>
    MS-Press 70-291
    Transcenders

Hey good luck with your test.

I see you have used a lot of practice questions in your preparation. Which are the best books to read for this exam in your opinion? I may revisit windows networking when I get a chance but would like some advice on appropriate study books. Man it's been ages since I did an MS cert.

TIA

I kinda liked MS-Press so far, but for video I prefer Train Signal, I have a lab a real lab not a VM I currently have 4 servers 1 client 2 switches one of em is a manageable cisco 2948 I also have 5 static routable IP from my ISP DSL Extreme.
  • Options
    Failed the Beast!

Score was 593
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    You'll get it next time! The print out really gives you a good idea on what areas you need the most work on, brush up on those and slay the beast!

I hope you took advantage of the 2nd shot promotion.
  • Options
    I was at question 20, then notice I only have 2 hours left the time ticking started psyching me out and it was my first time to drink a lot of coffee, then I started shaking, I couldn't even focus and breathe I felt like fainting and can't even concentrate on reading one line, my girlfriend told me that coffee makes some people jittery, it was not what I expected fromy myself, , it seems myself was my biggest challenged not the beast, when I stood up I have to hold on the chair cause I was about to collapse.

Anyway a fail is a fail, tons of WSUS, hope this helps out other prospective takers, you must know WSUS inside out.

As for me I am laying off coffee and will take a break.
  • Options
    You'll get it next time! The print out really gives you a good idea on what areas you need the most work on, brush up on those and slay the beast!

I hope you took advantage of the 2nd shot promotion.

I have the second shot promotion, I am still dizzy today after a day has gone by.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry you didn't pass. Coffee tends to enhance whatever your mood happens to be at the time. If you're in a good mood, it makes you feel even better. If' you're grumpy, it makes you mean. If you're nervous, well it magnifies that too.

{EDIT: Stupid spelling error icon_redface.gif }
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I'll take my revenge with this humiliating defeat :) lol
  • Options
    geezer301geezer301 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It took me more than one attempt to pass this test. I have a mental block of not able to take MS's routing, ras, firewall stuffs seriously. <rant>They are buggy, clumsy and non-intuitive</rant>.

I finally had to 'brain-wash' myself that they were the next best thing than 'sliced bread' in order to get pass the mental block when I prepared for the test again.
  • Options
    geezer301 wrote:
    It took me more than one attempt to pass this test. I have a mental block of not able to take MS's routing, ras, firewall stuffs seriously. <rant>They are buggy, clumsy and non-intuitive</rant>.

I finally had to 'brain-wash' myself that they were the next best thing than 'sliced bread' in order to get pass the mental block when I prepared for the test again.

Haha i realized that maybe i'm going to the same dillema, anyway I purchased a cisco 2x 2600 series and a 2948 G switch, I'm planning on CCNA, hopefully it will be enjoyable again!

What company uses RRAS? I haven't seen one yet being in the field for 6 years, but don't be surprise they also have OSPF :P...
  • Options
    wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can request a copy of your score... call customer service and they can send you a copy.
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!
  • Options
    Finally took down this beast on my second attempts, I scored 920, I bleed so much for this exam, it took me 2 1/2 months to prepare for this exam.

If your planning to take this exam I would suggest to give yourself at least 3 months for this behemoth beast.

I got tons of RRAS and IPsec, network monitor counters, DNS and WSUS was also everywhere in this exam.
  • Options
    Between I had Lipton Tea instead haha :) thanks to this site, it would have been impossible without the communities help.
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    dang network monitor is on there also? I was just hoping I could skip that section of the book for the time being ;) in regards to IPsec should I be keen on remembering the super granular stuff that one would never keep memorized or would a solid foundational understanding of using IPsec in Windows suffice? I have DNS and WSUS about bleeding out of my brain, I have caught myself doing word associating using zone terms with other real world scenarios "Hah, your such a read only copy, nothing more then a secondary zone.." insults like that.. I am going bonkers.

RRAS and IPsec are a little tougher to find tons of interest in but whatever I spose..

Congrats on the pass btw, nice it only took you twice :D
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    CoryS wrote:
    dang network monitor is on there also? I was just hoping I could skip that section of the book for the time being ;) in regards to IPsec should I be keen on remembering the super granular stuff that one would never keep memorized or would a solid foundational understanding of using IPsec in Windows suffice? I have DNS and WSUS about bleeding out of my brain, I have caught myself doing word associating using zone terms with other real world scenarios "Hah, your such a read only copy, nothing more then a secondary zone.." insults like that.. I am going bonkers.

RRAS and IPsec are a little tougher to find tons of interest in but whatever I spose..

Congrats on the pass btw, nice it only took you twice :D

RRAS was my lowest score, about 83 % on the scale, solid foundational understanding of a particular subject is always the best way to really understand it, but to pass IPsec you gotta be a "BIT" granular as well, just make sure you can go back to NT 4.0 and still be able to use a security/encryption. I hate seeing ipsec questions on my exams and those annoying counters on network monitor, it bleeds my eyes haha.

I wonder how I will do with security +.
  • Options
    Use trainsignal for your IPsec and Network Monitor, the book was the worst resource I had, I had a hardtime understanding what I cannot see and configure via a lab.
  • Options
    wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! And nice score!
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you werent kidding about the revenge thing, you slaughtered "the beast!" icon_wink.gif

congrats!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Awesome score! Congrats!
  • Options
    TRIGG3RTRIGG3R Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations.

Think Ive given myself a bit of a huge task.

My plan is to self-study an MCP topic from Friday - Monday every week then take the exam on Tuesday.

Did first one last weekend, and passed 70-290 with a score of 880

Thought Id attempt the 70-291 this weekend gone (due to the fact that alot of people seem to be classing this as a difficult exam to pass, so I just wanted it out the way). But failed today with a score of 680 (so close lol).

Anyways, how long do you have to wait before you can resit? and for you guys who have passed this on second attempt, are the questions fairly similar to the first time you tried, or were they all completly differant?

Thanks

Michael
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    great work, huge congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    TRIGG3R wrote:
    Congradulations.
    Anyways, how long do you have to wait before you can resit?
    I'm pretty sure if you fail once, you can take a second attempt at any time -- there is no waiting period.

If you fail the second time (and each subsequent time), you have to wait 14 days before taking the exam again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
  • Options
    JdotQ wrote:
    I'm pretty sure if you fail once, you can take a second attempt at any time -- there is no waiting period.

If you fail the second time (and each subsequent time), you have to wait 14 days before taking the exam again.

Thanks for that, just checked on the MS site and your right...

Resit on Thursday.

Michael
  • Options
    rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

I'm taking mine in a couple weeks. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    TRIGG3R wrote:
    JdotQ wrote:

Thanks for that, just checked on the MS site and your right...

Resit on Thursday.

Michael
    Good luck with the resit -- let us know how it goes :)
  • Options
    Woohoo!

Passed 291 today. scored 880.

Now I have to think of which to start next.

Michael
  • Options
    Congrats was this your 1st attempt? nice score...
  • Options
    Congrats TRIGG3R, good score!