Options

CCNP home lab questions....yep again...sorry.

happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there everyone,

I have been lurking around for some information on what I need to setup a home lab. I have to admit that I have been taking a little time off but I am back in the saddle. Anyways, can anyone tell me about the following for a CCNP home lab:

1.) I have read on here that a 12.4 ios image is needed for bgp. I have a 3640 that is running 12.3 and can run bgp, so where is the difference pertaining to the CCNP exams? Is a 12.4 IOS image that imperative to learn the exam concepts? I have access to a bunch of 2611xm's, but don't have the 12.4 IOS to test if it would work or not.

2.) What is a good 2500 series router that would support say 2 wic 2t smart serial network cards? Or should I try a newer platform?

3.) Can a 2621 series router with enough flash memory work with a 12.4 ios image correctly? This is what I have. The 2621xm is way too expensive. I think I can afford some 2611xm's, even though the price of the 2621's on eBay are much more appealing.

I am pretty much up to date as far as what equipment I would need for the BCMSN..... I think... icon_confused.gif:)
Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When they updated the CCNP, one of the changes was to "test 12.4 IOS features" -- but I'm not sure they have even figured out which 12.4 specific features they need to test icon_lol.gif I wouldn't worry about it until you actually hit something that isn't in a 12.3 enterprise IOS -- then post to let us know what it is (but that's easy for me to say -- since I have 12.4 on my 3640s :D).

The only modular 2500s were the 2524/2525.... and I don't think they support any smart serial cards.

If you have the 2600 bios update and 32 megs of flash, you can run 12.4 in a lab environment (or production, but only if you don't want to keep your job). You can also try the tftp boot option if you don't have the flash upgrade. http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21034
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    GeoDudeGeoDude Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe IOS 12.3 is pretty much sufficient for the majortiy of topics.

Things like TCL scripting are only availible in 12.4 but BGP/OSPF etc work fine.

Thats my experience so far.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have 12.3 and 12.4. I haven't loaded the 12.4 yet and I haven't run into anything not supported on the 12.3 yet including TCL scripting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    :D:D Awesome, thanks for the heads up you guys! :D:D I went ahead and purchased 2 3640's. I already have a 3640, which is using a 12.3 IOS... which one I can't remember off of my head. I am sure that it's pretty up to date. When a friend of mine gave it to me, it had a NM-VPN/MP network module installed so I can do IPSec and 3des encryption, etc.

I read up and took on mikej42's advice from a previous thread and went with the 3640's. Those 2600xm's are just waay to much. I managed to pull two of them for 269.00 each. The network modules on them suck *Ethernet interfaces*, but I can get my hand on a couple of fast Ethernet modules. So after receiving those two babies, that brings my router collection back up to four routers.

I am still looking into another router to be a frame switch. It seems frame relay would just help bring in NBMA scenarios when studying OSPF. So I am not putting it on the highest of priorities at the moment.
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Theirs a few things here and there that are different from 12.3 and 12.4 with 3640's.

You can compare the images ya self if ya like :)

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=compare&task=display
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgeorge your avatar is awesome.... I wanna make a tshirt out of that! lol