Options

Win2000 and Vista Upgrade Question

eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
Hi Guys,

I started reading 70-620 Sybex book and i'm confused about upgrade to Vista from win2000, is this possible or not?, i did a search and found this:

From Microsoft Web Site:
This article discusses the installation choices available to you for upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista.

Here are some things you should know:

• Upgrade. 
Performing an upgrade preserves your personal files, settings, and programs. You cannot perform an upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista. 

• Clean installation. 
Performing a clean installation does not preserve your personal files, settings, and programs. For information about how to restore your files after a clean installation, go to How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation online.

• Upgrade copy. 
With an upgrade copy, you can install Windows Vista if you already own a compliant, licensed version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista. 

• Full copy. 
With a full copy of Windows Vista, you can upgrade, where possible, or perform a clean installation, even if no operating system is running on the computer. 

I'm confused about Upgrade and Upgrade Copy

Thanks in advance. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    No, you can not upgrade a PC that has Windows 2000 to Vista directly. What this means is that you can buy the Vista upgrade pack (instead of the full version) and do a clean install of Vista.

eg: This means if you have a win 2k PC with all your programs installed you'll have to wipe your HDD install Vista from fresh (but somewhere in the install routine it'll ask you for the orginal disc of Win2k) and re-install the programs.

See here for MS table re upgrade paths.

Hope this helps

-ken

p.s. upgrade = in-place upgrade your programs/setting from XP will (in theory be transfered to Vista).

Upgrade copy = fresh install using the Vista upgrade disc and a licenced previous OS (eg 2k)