Options

2 NICs for VPN server. Why?

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
When configuring Routing and Remote Access to set up a VPN server, the wizard said I need to NIC cards. One for the internet connection and one for the LAN. Why 2 cards?

I understand that one NIC is for my internet connection, but isn't that how remote users get to my network, through the one incoming connection?

Comments

• Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    The purpose of the other NIC would be to connect the other users on the LAN to the internet. At least that's the only function of it I could see........

One NIC for remote access, one NIC for the routing.
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Exactly. That is what I thought. But, try setting it up without 2 NIC cards. Win2K Server will not let you.

See, all I want to do is establish a VPN connection to my server, which is not part of a network.

Any ideas? I'm new to Server, but all of my research says the same thing.
  • Options
    Richard ChristyRichard Christy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your basically using 1 NIC for RRAS and the other, "static configured nic", for the internal network. Configure the second NIC with a static IP address, SM, DG, and point it to the internal DNS server. On your Router, if your using it to VPN you are going to have to open up ports to that specific IP address on the second NIC, example: "192.168.1.5, port 1723 for PPTP" make sure its TCP
  • Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    This is the microsoft "way" to achieve a VPN solution. In my office our VPN server only has one NIC in it which is connect to both the local LAN and ADSL router via a switch with the server having the IP address of the router as a gateway. This solution works perfectly well without any glitches.

So it is possible to get a W2k server to act as a RRAS server with 1 nic !
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    PenzPenz Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took all of the Microsoft MOC classes at school and thats how Microsoft had us set up the network. 2 nics, one for the LAN and the other one went out to the class. It worked fine except for the fact we kepting having trouble with our 3COM cards.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    there is a simple way for you... if you dont want to use 2 NICs then you'll have to use any kind of router(it can be hw ex.: layer 3 switch or sw ex.:winroute). the purpose to use these 2 NICs is one connects you to the internet and one for your LAN...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You are setting up a VPN solution, not just a client, so there must be a private and a public network.

[quote-"w^rl0rd"]I understand that one NIC is for my internet connection, but isn't that how remote users get to my network, through the one incoming connection?[/quote]Yes, the internal NIC is that 'my network'.
  • Options
    RexelRexel Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikiemov wrote:
    This is the microsoft "way" to achieve a VPN solution. In my office our VPN server only has one NIC in it which is connect to both the local LAN and ADSL router via a switch with the server having the IP address of the router as a gateway. This solution works perfectly well without any glitches.

So it is possible to get a W2k server to act as a RRAS server with 1 nic !

This is how I have my network setup. Works without a hitch ;)

You have to decide if you want an MS or a Real life solution.

I agree as stated above for MS solution. One nic is for private other is for connection to the public.
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually found it more confusing and harder to setup while using two network cards.

I eventually removed the extra NIC and used the single NIC for both LAN and VPN traffic. It made life abit easier for me, and you may wish to try it too.