Options

laptop repair parts

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
I'm wondering if anyone knows if a decent supplier of laptop repair parts? I'm going to be repairing my HP laptop's screen, keyboard, and i'll be upgrading the memory and possibly hard drive. I've already taken the laptop apart to peak at it, the screen replacement should be very simple, and thats the most important thing, as its actually on the way to being shot.

any ideas/
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually do to the manufacture for Laptop parts. You may be able to get them through other venders, but the screen and keyboard are going to be harder to get, and probably more expensive.

What type of HP is it? I have an almost dead one setting here.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    i found a keyboard for $45 and a screen for $200

HP wanted $750 for the screen (it was an anti-somethign one so maybe it was a higher model)

but its a HP DV5135NR

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    I've bought all my Dell laptop parts off of eBay. Caveat emptor, maybe, but on eBay there are some bargain computer parts to be had!
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    The hardest part will be finding the screen. I was in a similar boat a few years back and it was less expensive to just replace the laptop.

I don't know what model you have or any of the details about it, but I would start by checking with your manufacturer and/or reseller if you didn't purchase it directly from the manufacturer. The company that creates the screens likely only sell them in bulk from my experience so your manufacturer or reseller is a likely place to find them.

Places like ebay as JDMurray suggested are definitely worth checking out as well, but I don't know how much success you will have going for a screen.

Good Luck and let us know what you find. I am hoping I don't break my brand new laptop but just in case it would be nice to know!
  • Options
    yeah well i wouldn't be in this position if we'd of just bought the stinking warranty.. but noo, we waited 3 weeks.

• Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Check out this site www.laptopking.com . I was able to find some dell parts. I am not sure about yours. Hope this helps.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    taktsoi wrote:
    Check out this site www.laptopking.com .
    Nice site! A little pricey for some components I'm needing, but they're sold as new and not pulls.
  • Options
    laptopexpertlaptopexpert Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend my site for parts:

http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com

We list over 10,000 models and have a 10 rating on Resellerratings.com
    Jeremy Schwaeber
    Sales/Customer Service
    Laptop Parts Expert
    866-410-0620 Toll Free
  • Options

Still very pricey compared to most of the same items I can find on eBay and at www.laptoppartsworld.com. Do you have a store front in OC or are you online only?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    How much is an equivalent spec laptop new? You're going to be paying out several hundred $ on this and you won't have any warranty on your repair work or the laptop itself. Factor in the time you have to spend fixing and testing the laptop and that cost just gets even higher.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

We list over 10,000 models and have a 10 rating on Resellerratings.com

You think their url gets blocked by firewalls and other filter since it contains the word S - E - X? Lol, I really am only 10 years old mentally.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    How much is an equivalent spec laptop new? You're going to be paying out several hundred $ on this and you won't have any warranty on your repair work or the laptop itself. Factor in the time you have to spend fixing and testing the laptop and that cost just gets even higher.
    So rather than having someone pay me to fix their laptop, I should convince them to go buy a new laptop from someone else? How does that make any sense?
    You think their url gets blocked by firewalls and other filter since it contains the word S - E - X? Lol, I really am only 10 years old mentally.
    Then you'll love www.penisland.net
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Didn't expertsexchange have the same problem?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    So rather than having someone pay me to fix their laptop, I should convince them to go buy a new laptop from someone else? How does that make any sense?

I think he was speaking from a DIY perspective, not a retail perspective.
    gorebrush wrote:

That's my favorite one because it actually changes the meaning entirely; it's not like a problematic word simply appears in the phrase icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:
    Actually, expertsexchange.com is on one of the hosts file blocking lists just for that reason.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    It makes sense because it is Darthn3ss' own laptop. Unless I'm mistaken, he was going to be doing the repairs himself. No third parties involved at all excluding whoever he purchases the spare parts from.

I didn't think it was that complex of an idea. If cost of repair + time is close to cost of an equivalent spec laptop then why bother to fix it. Make sense yet?
  • Options
    I was referring to me. You will notice that Darthn3ss has not posted in this thread for over a year now.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    I was referring to me. You will notice that Darthn3ss has not posted in this thread for over a year now.
    I didn't look at the dates of the post. It is still a valid point to make. If the device costs nearly as much or more to repair than to buy a new equivalent then why bother? If it is a client of yours then you should tell them so instead of just keeping it quiet and hoping they never work it out.
  • Options
    Unless the laptop is extremely inexpensive, or a total loss, it's always cheaper to repair yourself than to buy an equivalent because most refurbed parts are inexpensive. If you want to buy rather than repair because you need a laptop with upgraded features, now that's a worthwhile option to consider.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This topic was so much better than what I could have hoped. I give it my approval. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680