Options

First Job interview!!

abclukeabcluke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
EEK

I got A+ and studying for network+ at the momement. I applied for a job which looked suitable for me, IT Support person, and well I got a interview!

EEk, I am nervous, dont know how its gonna go!

Comments

• Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    Good luck, take deep breaths and show them what you got !!

Remember, somebody has got to get that job. May as well be you.

Let us know how you get one..
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Good luck. Be sure to show them how confident your are in yourself.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    LostinSpace said it, show them that you are confident!
    Through my (2) IT job interviews, I did not get any technical questions or anything like that. I got the typical situational questions on how you would handle yourself during certain events. I always focus on teamwork! That may sound like butt kissing, but employers in this field seem to really like it. They are really big on communication as well!!
    I wish you the very best of luck!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I was asked technical questions in my last interview, which I thought I answered fairly well, but apparently something went wrong as I didn't get the job.
  • Options
    Dubb RichDubb Rich Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got new IT job last week and I don't even have a cert. just try not to get nervous, don't be shy, hold your head high, and go in there like the MAN!!!!!. you'll do fine.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    There alot of IT jobs in Florida?
  • Options
    imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see some people complaining on the site saying that they can't see to find an IT job. Well I have finally got an interview for a job in a local high school for an IT support Tech. It's only taken 3 months of applying (and I might add being turned down due to lack of experience) to get 1 interview!

In the meantime I have used the time to continue to learn and keep my current job. The job that I'm going for is $10,000 a year less than what I'm making, will only pay about $20,000 but to get a foot in the door I'll take the drop. You can't expect to start on the IT path by getting certs and then expecting a huge job to instantly come along.

What else I found helpfull is when I applied for the job is to put on the application form anything that makes me look good! Things that show you can be a team member, soft skills etc.
    An IT job is not just a job about IT. You need to show off all your skills. You might be the smartest guy (or gal) on the block, but if you have a bad telephone manner then ..................no job!

Sell yourself. Sell your skills.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like most things, the IT market has its ups and downs. I do firmly believe however that the super high salaries of the past will not be achieved again for many years as there are far more savvy users out there and the way machines are priced these days it is cheaper to discard rather than disgnose and repair.
    For myself I was in the 40's in my last industry and am now only earning in the high 20's as my base salary and don't expect to regain my past salary for a few years, but with the numbers of unemployed IT people I am just happy to be out there doing the business.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    RussS wrote:
    but with the numbers of unemployed IT people I am just happy to be out there doing the business.

…so very true. But have you ever seen a relation between the number of lost jobs in the market and the number of people who now fill those vacancies. In other words, corporations can now hire two to three employees with the price tag of one.

Employers now want cheap labor and there are people who are willing to work for such employers not because they consider themselves cheap labor, but simply because what companies in the west consider "cheap" could mean the opposite to people in many under developed countries that have a very large stock of experienced people.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a past employer of up to 150 staff I know that if I can have two staff for the cost of one, or even three staff for the cosy of two then I am going to be mucho happy. Not that I am paying someone less than they deserve, but because if someone is off sick I am covered a little better.
    Also if someone quits and I have two or three people doing that or a similar job I can cover things with the least disruption and in business disruption is something I try to avoid at all costs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007