Options

Cisco 3550 - How to tell EMI?

optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
Hi everyone,

I hate to ask this question, but I don't want to throw down $750 for something I can not use. I am trying to get a 3550 switch for my lab, so I have a seller who will sell me one. When I run the show ver, it shows me that the IOS for the switch is C3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEE4 ,but when I look this up, it seems to me that this is a SMI IOS, not an EMI one. When I told him today he told me that it defenitly was previously upgraded to the EMI features. Is there something that I am missing here, or an iron clad way that I can check this? Sorry for the nub question, and I am sure I can find some sort of answer if I dig and dig, but I don't think that the switch will be available to me much longer.

Comments

• Options
    Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi optimus,

At the bottom of this page http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/ccie-3560-3550.htm it says
    3560 - The SMI image is now called IP Base and the EMI image is now called IP Services

I am pretty sure that this is the case with the 3550 as well. From memory if you had the SMI image you did not have all the routing protocols (OSPF and EIGRP) I think all you had was static routers and maybe RIP. This is from memory though so I will have to check later.
  • Options
    tictactictac Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    3550 use the ipbase/ipservices in their latest releases, where ipbase = SMI and ipservices = EMI.

so, in other words, you have a $750 SMI switch. find a friend to borrow the EMI IOS from.
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that is what I thought also, ipbase = SMI and ipservices = EMI. Not sure what this guy is smoking, but he told me that he would let me enter some command lines, so I am going to have to try some and see what happens.