Options

Anyone earned a BS degree online & earning the typical h

A-MartA-Mart Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am approaching my AS degree from Thomas Edison State college and plan on pursuing my BS. I am also in a tech school studying for A+, Network+, MCSE: Security, CCNA, and Linux+. I just want a realistic point of view if I should find my local community college and work my way into a brick and motar university to earn my BS degree.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be starting at Penn College in the spring. The program is online, but Penn College is a brick and Mortar, so I am getting both of the benefits.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    A-Mart wrote:
    I am approaching my AS degree from Thomas Edison State college and plan on pursuing my BS. I am also in a tech school studying for A+, Network+, MCSE: Security, CCNA, and Linux+. I just want a realistic point of view if I should find my local community college and work my way into a brick and motar university to earn my BS degree.

A-mart,

There's two very important things you need to know:
    1. Is the educational institution itself accredited?
    2. Is the major at the educational institution accredited?
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    The University has to be accredited but the online college is really gaining popularity. I attended Kansas State Universities online program for a while in the business program but then switched to Kaplan University for the IT degree program. I would have went to a brick and mortar if I had a choice, but work, school and side study for certs doesn't really give you to much extra time.

Regards,

:)
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    It doesn't seem like it matters where you get your degree from (in IT) as long as you have a degree. You want to at least make sure it is accredited. I went to Strayer and did some in class and some online.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    A-MartA-Mart Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your replies.
    Thomas Edison State College (TESC) is accredited and so is the CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree track. Im glad to hear that there is not that much emphasis on where you get your degree in IT as long as you have one. I am still subconsciously dealing with the fact that I messed up my future getting kick out of Rutgers Univeristy after 2 unsuccessful years and now trying to get back on track. I am 21.
    Kuddos to you all who a have the degree and the certs, I'll be looking onto you for encouragement
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are few type of companies or HR guys out there. They will look at your resume and see if you are:

1. fullfil the experience
    2. graduate from Ivy or well-known colleges/universities
    3. military
    4. certification

For me, I never hear of any of your schools. So I will do a deep research to find out what they are, however sometime HR and recruiter don't have time to conduct such time consumption work. So, you know what will happen to your resume. (Drop box)

It is depend on what type of job and company that you apply to. I will say "YES" where did you get your degree still mean a lot. For example, if you are in the final two on a position. A guy from UCLA or you from TESC, and you know which one the employer will prefer.

Thing still happen and it will. Just be flexible that thing will happen. OK
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn