Options

security + COUNTED 2X

RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
CAN security + be counted twice as the elective for both the mcsa and the mcse

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Yes, I have it counted as my MCSA elective and as one of my MCSE electives.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    Thanks bro

i was going to use the A+/Net+ combination at first then i realized that i could probaly get more bang for the buck with the security + being used twice
    i will probaly review the info for the net + since i already have some study info handy and just use it as prep for 70-291 just like when i read server + before 70-290
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There is no "second elective" for MCSE on Server 2003, if you've already got the one for MCSA. Since MCSA is basically MCSE without the design elective and two of the core exams, the general elective is a one-time thing. Once you have it for MCSA, you've got it for the whole trip through Microsoft-land.

Security+ or another Microsoft test satisfies for both MCSA and MCSE, whereas A+/Net+ or A+/Server+ only qualifies for MCSA. That's the only case where you'd need to do another elective for MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Slowhand wrote:
    There is no "second elective" for MCSE on Server 2003, if you've already got the one for MCSA. Since MCSA is basically MCSE without the design elective and two of the core exams, the general elective is a one-time thing. Once you have it for MCSA, you've got it for the whole trip through Microsoft-land.

Security+ or another Microsoft test satisfies for both MCSA and MCSE, whereas A+/Net+ or A+/Server+ only qualifies for MCSA. That's the only case where you'd need to do another elective for MCSE.

True... I just finished up my 2000 MCSE last month.
    With the 2000 MCSE, you have to take the 70-218 exam to get the MCSA... Luckily the 218 also counts as an elective towards the MCSE as does the Security+.

I hadn't really given any thought to the 2003 MCSE but it sounds like the Security+ is just as good for that one as well.