Would a firmware upgrade fix this?

christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, today I bought some Verbatim DVD-Rs, and the drive in my laptop would not reckonize it. I was thinking a firmware update would help this. I have been searching for literally HOURS, and I cannot find the update. Am I wasting my time doing this, or could this solve the problem? Also, if anyone could help find it, I would greatly appreciate it.

My drive is a Panasonic (Matshita?)UJ-850S Super Multi Double Layer.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    1. can you read other DVD's in the drive?
    2. do your new disks read/recognize in another DVD drive?

MAC put out an upgrade a while back that rendered many of the superdrives useless. I'll guess you are talking about a drive on a PC, but recently I was concerned that my MAC fell into that range, but fortunately it did not.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, other discs will read just fine. I tested it with a Kodak DVD+R, and that worked fine. However for some reason the Verbatim ones don't work, even though it clearly states its compatible with DVD+- RW.

Also, I'm on a PC (laptop) running Windows XP Pro SP2.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Not all DVD discs are compatible with all DVD drives. I have a Pioneer DVR-109 burner and it will not burn DVD+R media, but it works just fine with DVD-R discs (despite what the specs say). You will also find that a disc from one manufacturer works while the same format disc from another manufacturer doesn't.

As for firmware upgrades, your drive's manufacturer will have a Web page for your drive that contains a link to any available firmware updates. You might also have a look at the this posting and the FAQ from The Firmware Page.

Hmmm...now you've got me thinking that it's time I upgraded to the Pioneer DVR-112.
  • christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I guess I'm just out of luck then icon_sad.gif

I sent an email to ACER just to ask, since they didn't have anything about DVD Drive firmware listed. Shame, since this is the only DVD Drive I have. Thanks for the help anyways.