Options

CCNP exam order

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

Which path is generally regarded as the best way to tackle CCNP as I have just got my CCNA and an considering CCNP but it seems daunting.

Any idea how long it takes for updated material to appear given the change in exams. Lastly, if I passed 3 of the latest exams and the exams changed what options are open to get the final exam?

TIA
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The path most go is BSCI, BCMSN (these two in either order) followed by ISCW and finaly ONT. This is the "usual" path people follow, but I don't think it is a must.

The old exams are already expired. If you are just starting your only choice is the new exams.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    geezer wrote:
    Hi

Which path is generally regarded as the best way to tackle CCNP as I have just got my CCNA and an considering CCNP but it seems daunting.

Any idea how long it takes for updated material to appear given the change in exams. Lastly, if I passed 3 of the latest exams and the exams changed what options are open to get the final exam?

TIA

My teacher at the Cisco Networking Academy here, who is a premier Cisco speaker worldwide and who teaches CCNP, said that it really doesn't matter the order, and one shouldn't be harder than the others as far as sequence goes.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips but does one exam help the next exam?

Also, if you passed 3 of the 4 latest exams and the forth exam changed would you have to pass the latest 4th only to get CCNP status?

Next question will be what books to buy for self-study - any ideas??

TIA

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Cisco press study guides and cert guides. Along with plenty supplemental information from the Cisco website.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i go for the most difficult one so this time i went for BCMSN and then BSCI and then ONT or ISCW
    i think of taking QOS with ONT since they are kind of alike
    icon_jokercolor.gif
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    Brain-DrainBrain-Drain Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    geezer wrote:
    Thanks for the tips but does one exam help the next exam?

Also, if you passed 3 of the 4 latest exams and the forth exam changed would you have to pass the latest 4th only to get CCNP status?

TIA

Cisco grandfathers in old tests vs new when they update the courses and tests. I took the older BCMSN and BSCI and have passed the new ISCW and will hopefully knock out the ONT this week. I believe a test is valid for 3 years. If the track gets updated in that time, your test is still valid until you renew it. You can renew by either taking the current version of the test, or passing a higher level test. Professional 642 tests renew the CCNA, CCDA, CCENT. CCIE Written renews the P level certs.

Hopefully it won't take you 3 years to get thru the NP. I have taken my time and been at it about 14 months.

Hope that helps.
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • Options
    Steve10393Steve10393 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have just sat through BSCI, BCMSN, and ONT. Wireless bleeds over and even repeats some of the same topics on BCMSN and ONT but really the material is completely seperate. It doesn't matter at all what order you go in imo.

Maybe in your mind you can remember things better if you can associate it with higher or lower layer stuff from another topic but that's still a stretch and even if you did, it wouldn't matter the order in which you did it.
  • Options
    Big thanks for the help - it has been helpful.

Brain - yes hopefully it won't take 3 years but I ain't a fast reader :)

I would have thought the Routing exam would have been harder than the Switching exam from what I heard of the last CCNP exams?

What books then for the BCMSN or BSCI for self-study? icon_confused.gif

• Options
    Steve10393Steve10393 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken the BSCI exam yet, but BSCI does seem harder just because there's so much more ... idk, little tidbits of settings and commands, a lot more different topics, it just seems like more content. From sitting classes on both, I think bsci has a lot more to remember than BCMSN does. Especially since you kinda get like 1/4 of BCMSN going over STP modes which is pretty much review from ccna.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information.

I decided to go for BSCI self-study guide first - no point beating around the bush but instead, tackle head-on.

:)