MCP – What is it? – New Member!

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum; I can’t say how happy I am to have found this place :P I’m interested in upgrading my certifications to something US employers will recognize (I’m originally from Ireland) and I’ve thought I’d start off with an MCP certification. Although I’m not exactly sure what it is, how it’s used or what tests I need to take? I also intend to take the A+ in the near future. I’m sure there’s a FAQ here I’m missing.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :D

PS: My certifications from back home are 3 NVQ's (National Vocational Qualifications - 3 Years in total, classroom and on the job training), ICDL (International Computer Driving License), ICT (Information Communication Technology) Hardware Fundamentals (very similar to core hardware of the A+) and approximately 5.5 years on the job experience running a small (25+ clients) network.

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi! Yeah, these forums can be pretty helpful.

MCP just means you have passed, pretty much any of Microsoft's tests. The terminology is actually being retired though. In all fairness MCP is not very recognized by our employers either. Jump onto www.monster.com and run a search. You won't find much. Given your background, you might just want to dive right into the MCSA/MCSE path. Or even CCNA.

A+, Security+, MCSA and CCNA are all reasonable paths that will get your resume pulled.
    -Daniel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As Daniel333 said, MCP is given to anyone who passes a Microsoft exam. Incidentally, the acronym means Microsoft Certified Professional. Take a look at Microsoft's Certification page to get an idea of what they have to offer.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them! Now that I know what MCP is…

I intend to go the MCSA/MCSE path but wanted to sit a couple exams and grab something that employers here in the US recognize. I think I’m going to go the A+ maybe N+ route to the MCSA.

It’ll be really good to get back on the horse again after being off it for the past two years. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That sounds like a good plan. Network+ and A+ will get you to where Microsoft expects you to be, going into the MCSA/MCSE path. Keep an eye on that MCP page, you'll find lots of good information each time you go back, including other certification options, like the MCITP on Server 2008 for example.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    Thanks, I'll have to keep my eye on it! :)