new horizons courses

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
Can anyone tell me if new horizons courses are any good for doing any of the Microsoft exams???

Or am I better off studying at home and buying some transcenders from www.trancenders.com??? Who has the best transcenders anyone know??? Or is Self-test software a better choice?

D-boy

I want to get my MCSE in 6months if possible, I have wasted to much time so far…

Comments

• GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    New Horizon's gaurentees that you will pass the exam if you pass thier courses. In the event that you fail the exam, they will pay for you to take it again. So yes, they are very good for the exams, however, they are also astronomically expensive, so you have to ask youself, do you really need that much instruction, or can you do it on your own?
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I think I could do it on my own, but what pratice test are the best to use? I wanna pass exam 70-215
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    My experience: If you're a really true SUPER ITwannabe, you can probably make excellent use of a 5-day fast-track course(I think that's what New Hz is about). I'm sure that all information and instruction that you get would be good stuff. However, you have to have the ability and be willing to set aside every care and responsibility that you have in order get your money's worth for the duration of the course up until the time that you pass the exam. You'll have to be a 24-hour-a-day wannabe.

I base this on my A+ courses. They were 8 weeks on the fast-track--one for Core and one for OS. Took them at a local state college. But, I had to satisfy an employer(funny how they expect you to be there on time when your supposed to be there) and I had to be involved with my family--especially my grandchildren. So I studied another 5 months before I tested, and then, I really didn't make great scores, but I passed. However, learned enough with another month of self-study to pass Network+ with a very good score.

I believe that if I had had the time to be a 24-hour-a-day ITwannabe, I could have tested and passed immediately after taking the courses. None of the other people in the classes were able to pass immediately after the courses either.

From what I've seen, I think M$ cert exams are more difficult than CompTIA exams with a much different format and approach to questioning.

Of course, you may be a UK genius and able to soak it up like a sponge!!
    That's another factor(a big factor) that only you know about.

I haven't used Transcenders on any M$ yet, but did on Server+ and they were excellent--gives you a definite edge. Just be careful about what you do use that you don't get pulled into some kind of PDF document brain ****.

Well best of luck on your decision. Keep us up to date.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    Thanks for the advice, I just have to nuckle down thats the bottom line...
    Most excellent!!
    What do you think of www.selftestsoftware.com??? I was thinking about ordering some pratice exams... I would rather self-study and pay for practice exams than a New Horizons course for $1000+
    It looks to be legit.

Make a comparison at:

http://www.transcender.com/products/product.asp?SKU=KKSVR0500

Looks like Transcenders includes their flash card review with the exam simulator--think the simulator is what your looking for.

Transcenders has sample exam that you can download to see if you like it.
    D-boy,

One more thing. Have you checked out the practice exams on this site.

http://www.techexams.net/pexams.php

These guys are good and are definitely sincere about keeping things legit.
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I know that self test software is the official corporate practice test partner of the Oracle corporation for it's exams, but I'm not sure what their other exams are like. Transcender seems to be the big company for just about everything else.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
    I'll check it out thanks!!!!
    Well, I just discovered that selftest and Transcenders have merged!

They both still have separate web sites--at least for now.

Check it at http://www.stsware.com/generic.asp?page%5Fid=p00516
    So I guess there just as good as each other!