Options

ONT test Wednesday (passed!!!)

Brain-DrainBrain-Drain Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in the last minute reviews for the ONT and I'm just curious what others might have done to successfully prep for it. I have a small network topology in dynamips running CME w/ipblue communicators in VMware XP machines and have SDM running against the router, but the simulating of network traffic to cause congestion in dynamips is a bit challenging. It doesn't take much running dynamips and multiple vmware machines to max out my laptop so simulating poor conditions is kinda rough.

I have heard that my preparation may be overkill, that the test is all theory and drag n drop testlets with no cli configurations. My inclination now is to spend the last night brushing up on the sdm and the theory. Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA
CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
cVoice -
TUC -
CIPT -
GWGK -

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd be careful.... I nearly missed the "Describe & configure" when I scanned the blueprint. But even the end of the one obvious "configure" could mean know all the MQC stuff that AutoQoS could generate. And I almost missed the "Configure and verify" in the middle WLAN topic.
        * Describe and configure NBAR for classification.
        * Describe and configure QoS Pre-Classify.

* Configure, verify, and torubleshoot AutoQoS implementations (i.e., MQC).

* Describe and configure QoS Pre-Classify.

* Describe and Configure wireless security on Cisco Clients and APs (e.g., SSID, WEP, LEAP, etc.).
        * Describe basic wireless management (e.g., WLSE and WCS). Configure and verify basic WCS configuration (i.e., login, add/review controller/AP status, security, and import/review maps).
        * Describe and configure WLAN QoS.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Passed it. I can trade in my CCNA superhero tights for the ones with the big P on the cape now!

I would strongly suggest anyone else prepping for this exam that you take the time to become very familiar with the SDM and configuring QoS thru it. I used the dynamips simulator and ran the sdm against it. I don't believe the screenshots alone in the study guides and books are adequate. You really need to be familiar and comfortable with not only the configuration process in the gui, but also the types of QoS rules generated by the SDM, and verifying a config thru the gui. I don't think I would have been prepared w/o actually using the tool and walking thru the process several times.

Anyway, 966/1000 and a new Cert. Next up, the 642-642 QoS and the wide world of Voice!

-bd
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(")_(")domination.
  • Options
    Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice one well done on the pass and thanks for the tips ONT is next and I am already sick of SDM after ISCW :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif CCNP!!!! icon_cheers.gif

Does it feel any different having a big boy cert? icon_lol.gif

Good Luck on the CCVP :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Big congrats!!!!

Getting NA is an accomplishment, but getting NP is like huge.

Are there any configuration guides for SDM in the ONT books? I know you said there are screen shots, but are they instructional? What about the cisco site, did you get any config guides for SDM from cisco?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    congratulations!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Congratulations! I know you're glad to have that behind you. Btw, do you currently work in the field or just studying for now? What do you hope to eventually get into?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Now you are a member of the major league! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Passed it. I can trade in my CCNA superhero tights for the ones with the big P on the cape now!

Anyway, 966/1000 and a new Cert. Next up, the 642-642 QoS and the wide world of Voice!

-bd

Like the superhero tights comment icon_lol.gif

Great news, well done and thanks for the tips. You have finished yet still to start... icon_rolleyes.gif
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, i know i'm a little late but congratulations man!!!! You make us all proud and inspired :D
    icon_jokercolor.gif
    What one man can do another can do.

(")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    huge congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    heron74heron74 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

anyone can help me in finding tests in order to do ONT cert?
    thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Congrats on the pass, I will be tackling this exam in the next few months
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Are there any configuration guides for SDM in the ONT books? I know you said there are screen shots, but are they instructional? What about the cisco site, did you get any config guides for SDM from cisco?

I used the knowledgenet student guide and the Cisco press exam cert guide for my study materials and both do have configuration guides. They both walk you step-by-step thru the various configurations. I just prefer being able to jump on a device and be able to either enter the commands myself or walk thru the steps in something like the sdm or the asdm (or pdm if you're playing with security stuff on older pix code). I find it's more effective to actually learn it if I can walk thru the steps in the app rather than looking at glossy pictures!
    Congratulations! I know you're glad to have that behind you. Btw, do you currently work in the field or just studying for now? What do you hope to eventually get into?

Thanks. It is a relief to finally get it done. I currently work for a Cisco Partner so I am neck deep in all things Networking. I have the opportunity to work with just about everything Cisco offers right now with the exception of Telepresence. We just don't have the space or funds to set that up here! We have lots of VoIP customers, and the full breadth of network environments to work in. Some days I am working on Dell switches, other days it's Juniper Netscreens, and other days I'm building Unity Servers or Microsoft OCS/LCS environments. My ultimate goal right now is to pursue at least one CCIE and get into a design/engineering role. I'm just torn on which IE to focus on. R&S is the leading candidate right now I think.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Does it feel any different having a big boy cert? icon_lol.gif

My brain feels 2 sizes larger now, and boy does it impress the chicks!! Nothing says stud like a P level Cert! I have 2 friends of mine who are also Cisco geeks. One is a CCSP and the other is a CCNP. Both told me that they were about to quit socializing with me if I didn't pass. They only talk to other P level techs. ;)
    Unfortunately now I will have to put my money where my mouth is. What's the line from Spiderman? "With great power comes great responsibility"

Thanks all for the kind words! And to you guys still tackling these, keep on it! The feeling of accomplishment once you get there is huge (that is until you start down another track and find yourself staring down the barrel of another 5 tests and the months of study and prepwork......)

-bd
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(")_(")domination.