Options

Taking N+ exam

robmessarobmessa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi people

i hoping to take N+exam in the next week or two been studying using mike meyers passport i have scored 90% and above in the practice exams that came with the book and tests i have done online gone through tech notes on this site the only thing im not sure about is appletalk and novell what topics should i study when it comes appletalk and novell?
do you think im ready to take the exam?

thanks in advance
Roberto

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    robmessa wrote:

It really depends on what YOU think. If you understand what's being covered in the Objectives, then 'yes' you probably are.

Read over the PDF TechNotes for NET+ see how those go for you.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second the suggestion to read the TechNotes PDF. I've been studying using the Sybex 2nd Edition Study Guide, and while that's been fairly helpful, the TechNotes have really helped solidify some concepts for me that were somewhat vague.

I've been trying to take as many free "practice exams" as I can online, and what I'm finding is that some of the questions and topics are seemingly all over the map. For example, a practice exam I took last night had a question about serial vs. parallel ATA!!! What does that have to do with the Network+ exam???
  • Options
    Empathy wrote:
    .....a question about serial vs. parallel ATA!!! What does that have to do with the Network+ exam???

So you've NEVER been called to troubleshoot a network problem only to track it back to the PC? Aren't nodes on the network part of the network ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Empathy wrote:
    .....a question about serial vs. parallel ATA!!! What does that have to do with the Network+ exam???

So you've NEVER been called to troubleshoot a network problem only to track it back to the PC? Aren't nodes on the network part of the network ;)

Well, of course... tracking it back to a NIC, or incorrectly configured OS... knowing whether a drive is Serial vs. Parallel ATA still seems largely irrelevant to network troubleshooting (to me). I personally think it was a A+ question that mistakenly made its way into the Network+ questions...
  • Options
    Empathy wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Empathy wrote:

Well, of course... tracking it back to a NIC, or incorrectly configured OS... knowing whether a drive is Serial vs. Parallel ATA still seems largely irrelevant to network troubleshooting (to me). I personally think it was a A+ question that mistakenly made its way into the Network+ questions...

While it could be an error, it can also be argued that the field person needs to be able to identify and properly convey the replacement part to the person who handles purchasing. I wouldn't stress too much over something like this, it is a question a tech should know, and it's unlikely the deal breaker on passing or failing your exam. And in the event it was....then the candidate likely missed MANY questions :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    alenglishalenglish Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Remember, some of the questions have nothing to do with the exam and are used strictly for statistical purposes...or at least that's what's stated in the introduction and instructions.
    MCSA Pending
  • Options
    lengilengi Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    robmessa wrote:
    hi people

i hoping to take N+exam in the next week or two been studying using mike meyers passport i have scored 90% and above in the practice exams that came with the book and tests i have done online gone through tech notes on this site the only thing im not sure about is appletalk and novell what topics should i study when it comes appletalk and novell?

thanks in advance
    Roberto

Just passed Network+ today in Switzerland. Don't panic if the first questions are only about Novell or Mac OS (I thought I was in the wrong exam when it started...) but at the end I passed with more than 730. I studied with Mike Meyers Network+ Certification and his 10 Total Tester Exams (which are a little outdated with some 10Base2 and 10Base5 questions no longer tested in the exam) and the Network+ Q&A 2005.

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lengi wrote:
    robmessa wrote:
    hi people

thanks in advance
    Roberto

Just passed Network+ today in Switzerland. Don't panic if the first questions are only about Novell or Mac OS (I thought I was in the wrong exam when it started...) but at the end I passed with more than 730. I studied with Mike Meyers Network+ Certification and his 10 Total Tester Exams (which are a little outdated with some 10Base2 and 10Base5 questions no longer tested in the exam) and the Network+ Q&A 2005.

icon_cool.gif

Yeah, the first 15 questions had me very worried. After I got into the swing of things it was no problem.