Options

BSCI - which books?

JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
I've read a few posts in the past saying there's two different types of books produced by cisco: self study and exam cert guides.

I already have a bsci by clare gough but it's quite a few years old now - 2003.

so, would these two books see me through BSCI?

Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 3rd

Edition
By Diane Teare, Catherine Paquet.
Published by Cisco Press.
Series: Self-Study Guide.
ISBN-10: 1-58705-223-7; ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-223-1; Published: Dec 26, 2006;

Copyright 2007; Dimensions 7-3/8x9-1/8; Pages: 864; Edition: 3rd.
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052237

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide, 4th Edition
By Brent Stewart.
Published by Cisco Press.
Series: Exam Certification Guide.
SBN-10: 1-58720-147-X; ISBN-13: 978-1-58720-147-9; Published: Jul 18, 2007;

Copyright 2008; Dimensions 7-3/8x9-1/8; Pages: 672; Edition: 4th.
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=158720147X

thanks

john

Comments

• Options
    Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are only going to choose one then I would recommend Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 3rd it is a brilliant book. It was the book I used for my BSCI exam.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The self study guide seems to be more complete and cover some topics not on the exam but help clarify other topics that are on the exam. The exam certification guide is all about the exam topics. I have read the self stuy guide and I thought it mapped well to the official courseware, I did not read the exam cert guide.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    thanks guys, sounds like they're both worthwhile then.

did any of you use the bryant guys stuff?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using Bryant's cd from Trainsingal and they are excelent.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    impelse wrote:
    I am using Bryant's cd from Trainsingal and they are excelent.

I agree, however Bryant's BSCI stuff appears to be better than the BCMSN material. Bottom line, don't rely on just one resource, is usually a good approach to take. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    i have both cisco press books, and use both fairly heavily. They are both really good imo.

I am also using the BSCI CBT nuggets which i thought were great
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    i have both cisco press books, and use both fairly heavily. They are both really good imo.

I am also using the BSCI CBT Nuggets which i thought were great

Same here. I've never used CBT nuggets before but thought I'd try them out this time. Good to watch when there are to many distractions to read. I just put on my headphones and drown everything else out. Just started with them though so no overall opinion yet. Good so far.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Bryant's self study stuff for BSCI and BCMSN, not the Trainsignal videos just the cheap packages you can get direct off his site. The Trainsignal videos are much more like CBT Nuggets now days I think but someone will have to confirm where as in the past they were videos with a lab workbook. (This might only apply for ONT, BSCI and BCMSN might have lab books). His self study package for the BSCI was excellent. The stuff for BCMSN was not nearly as good but the more resources the better.
  • Options
    thanks guys. i better start putting some money aside!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah it can become expensive preparing for certifications. At around $40 - $50 per book and even more for video training, not to mention lab equipment, you will be spending quite a bit. At the end of the exam and you see the congrats you passed its all worth it!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yeah it can become expensive preparing for certifications. At around $40 - $50 per book and even more for video training, not to mention lab equipment, you will be spending quite a bit. At the end of the exam and you see the congrats you passed its all worth it!

it's all money well spent i know. got a lifetime of certs ahead of me! hopefully i'll be able to sell the books on afterwards unlike all the ccna stuff i now have!
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    I was interested in this post as I too am deliberating over which book to study and don't have time to read many of them unfortunately.
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    ravindrathe1ravindrathe1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi, I have cleared ccie R&S theory and my CCNA was expired a year back. Is it posible to write bsci using ccie cisco ID.?
    Thanks in-advance...