Help with starting 70-210

KDSKDS Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am new to certs but have IT degree and been working in IT for few years now.

I thought i would start off with an MCP 70-210. Then maybe move on to MCSA and MCSE.

Any suggestions on the cheapest way to study for this exam? Can i do it with a book only, some practise exams and access to W2k.

Any suggestions on a book to cover all the topics required. Would either the Microsoft Press book or Mike Meyers book be sufficient as a study tool on its own. Supplemented with some of the notes from this site.
Are the practise exams in the Microsoft book enough or do i need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for any help

Keith

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If you're looking at MCSA/E, check here for the requirements of each cert.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp

I used Mike Myers for A+, and for Net+, I don't how he is on M$ subjects, but I liked his books a lot. I've heard M$ Press is very good as well.
    If you feel you're proficient with Win2K already, you should be able to pick up a book and pass with some good study time. I felt 210 was pretty basic, I studied for a few months with a class and passed 210. I've yet to take 215, so I can't say much about that it.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    M$ Press books are written to be studied along with hands-on equipment.
    They all state that you should have at least 2 PCs networked together and one needs some version of W2k Server. 120 day trial versions work fine and they come with the books along with some exam simulation on the accompanying CD. I believe that they are a excellent resource.

You'll find fair prices and latest editions here.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/q92gxzrh2r/sl?su=ct&Go.x=15&Go.y=4

Of course, I'm going with what works for me. If you have enough experiece, you may not need a home set up like this. And, if all want is a cert, you can probably eventually get it with just a book.

Best of luck!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • KDSKDS Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys.

I have got the kit at home and a couple of PCs so will prob do that. But i also work on and install 2000 boxes at work.

With the Microsoft books you get a 120day trial offer of win2k Pro and server ??

As i am in the UK i will probably have to use amazon.

Keith
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    With the kit for the 210 exam you will have 120 day eval of Pro.
    With the kit for the 215 exam you will have 120 day eval of Srvr.

Good luck with your studies and feel free to post questions as they come up for you :D
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    It took me a week with the MS press book and I skiped the last 2 chapters and I still passed. Just read the MS Press book go through all the lessons and I think you'll be ok. I didn't even use transcenders! but I will for A+ exams and the rest of my MCSE.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I have a Readiness Review for 70-210, I like it. So far it makes me feel useless, but I'm sure it's the right tool to keep me reviewing. It sort of reminds me of Transcenders because of the answers and explanations.

Yep. You get the OS trial versions like Pavlov said. And, with 70-218 guide, you get trial Advanced Server.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki