Folder Sharing problem (strange)

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hi all,
I come from a CCNA cert took recently and now I'm committed on the 70-290.
I state beforehand that I'm pretty new on Windows server 2003, then excuse me if my questions seem to You strange or simple.
The problem is that.

1) I created a domain named OLAOLA.COM and a user named CHICO.

2) CHICO is a simple Domain User (default when they create a new user in a domain).

3) The administrator of the CHICOs XP workstation, made a shared folder for CHICO on its desktop, (CHICO was unable to do that).

4) But when CHICO log on through his user account he do not see that folder as shared (not there is the little hand under the folder), however he see that the folder is shared if he browses My network place.

5) The strange is that, if I Domain admin promote CHICO as a most powerful group member (Domain Admins), he succed to see the little hand under the folder.

That's a bug or it has a rational explanation?
Thank You.

Client accounts:
Administrator (local)

W.Server 2003 account:
Administrator (Domain admin and more)
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although I can't account for the hand icon appearing, CHICO doesn't have full control ( I assume ) so he cannot edit shared permissions anyways. So if he can't even view the shared tab because he has no rights, then that is acceptable anyways.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Mmm, thanks for reply Mishra , You say that is normal this statement:

an user that cannot edit sharing properties, can't view the little hand under the folder (and then realize immediately that folder is shared)?

Is not the first time that I create a shared folder for a simple Domain User and really I did not remember that, but maybe I mistake in my memory......

Someone can try to play this very simple scenario?
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rjbarlow wrote:
    Mmm, thanks for reply Mishra , You say that is normal this statement:

an user that cannot edit sharing properties, can't view the little hand under the folder (and then realize immediately that folder is shared)?

Is not the first time that I create a shared folder for a simple Domain User and really I did not remember that, but maybe I mistake in my memory......

Someone can try to play this very simple scenario?

The user doesn't need to know if the folder is shared or not because share permissions do not matter to the user local to the PC.

Normally, if you are running an environment with no local admin access to PCs, then you don't have any shares on your workstations (other than administrative obviously).

But as I said before, I can't vouch whether or not the hand icon/shared tab relationship. I don't really pay attention to the hand icon unless I'm an admin on the box. ;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!