Options

VMWare on my lappy... Powerfull enough?

5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,
Ok so i've booked my exam for the 19th of nov. ( I've allso managed to get my boss to pay for me to go to kiwicon! the weekend before hand... woop! yay for me! this wasn't easy to get my boss to pay for a hacker conference hah)

I have lotsa spare pcs for setting up servers etc.. but would rather setup my lab on my laptop as I don't want to have 2 labs setup, 1 at work + 1 at home.

Laptop specs - Centrino 1.6ghz, 768MB running XP Home and i ttttthink its a 40gig hdd - can't be botherd starting up the laptop right now but ill check this if need be.

Obviously XPhome can't join a domain... so i was thinking of this...

3 partitions

1- XP Home
2- Server 2k3
3- XP Pro

Install 2k3 server (Trail that comes with the MS Press book) as a duel boot (alongside home)
install vmware on 2k3 OS
setup a XP Pro (Trail with MS Press) VM on 2k3 OS

this way I won't have home stealing resourses as they are verrry limited on my laptop

also i've never setup a VM before so... I'll wing it - I seem to be good at that tho! haha

does this sound like a good plan? also... will my laptop have a seizure if i do all this? i just recently picked this laptop up for $300nzd so i'm happy with it :)

Thanks everyone.

Chap
Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
-J.R.Purser

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    you don't need 3 partitions... just run vmware and have 3 different os files (I think it's .vmx files)

anyways I have a an amd 2400 with 1.5gb of ram.... and it works ok.

what u have will probably work if u use the minimal amount of ram for each OS but it will be pretty slow

if I were you I'd max out the ram as it is what makes the difference for vmware IMO
  • Options
    hummm....

so....

do i need to install win 2k3 first then install vmware server on that?

sorry ive never done this before
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Have you had a look at Microsoft's Virtual PC?? Its free and easy to use to set up a lab environment. Im using it for 70-290 at the moment, I run vista x64 ultimate and use virtual pc to run 2 windows 2003 servers and a bunch of winxp clients. :) If you set the networking settings to local only the servers and clients just talk amongst themselves.

If your interested have a look here --> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Should run on your lappy specs and without the need to partition, reinstall or duel boot.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Chapt3r:4 wrote:
    hummm....

so....

do i need to install win 2k3 first then install vmware server on that?

sorry ive never done this before

install the vm software then u can point vmware to your install source
  • Options
    Thanks Smallguy - I'm installing it now so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Revenue - I'm gunna see if i can get this going, if not I'll definatly check out Virtual PC.. I hear VMWare is being used in alot of companys nowa days so it might be good to get some practice on this.
    ...... Hey! Your From New Zealand! sweeeet - another kiwi :D
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    yeah no probs :P just an another option etc etc. Whatever works for you. Hope all goes well, gl
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think virtual PC is the best option for quick virtual servers on a desktop computer. It is pretty snappy and easier to manage IMO.

But if you are looking to get vmware experience out of the deal then I would definitely go with that.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    VMWare is pretty sweet huh icon_cool.gif
    In the past I've allways had a windows server 2k3 + 2x XP pro lab setup each on its own PC..
    Anyone studying I would recommend setting up your stuff with VMWare!
    It saves alot of time and hassle!

Cheers for your help.

Chapt3r
    -J.R.Purser