Options

DAMAGED HARD DRIVDE SECTORS

flavafrankflavafrank Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
HOW WOULD I REPAIR DAMAGED HARD DRIVE SECTORS OR STOP THE HARD DRIVE FROM WRITING DATA TO THEM?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What Operating System? Most likely you would run a full Disk Check for an XP system. From the GUI, right click on the drive in question, select properties, then the TOOLS tab. Then select "Check Now" under the Error Checking portion. Check the boxes to automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. If prompted to schedule on your next restart select Yes and reboot.

From a command prompt (assuming drive C: is what you want to check) you would type:

chkdsk c: /f /r /x

Reboot when prompted.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    What Operating System? Most likely you would run a full Disk Check for an XP system. From the GUI, right click on the drive in question, select properties, then the TOOLS tab. Then select "Check Now" under the Error Checking portion. Check the boxes to automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. If prompted to schedule on your next restart select Yes and reboot.

From a command prompt (assuming drive C: is what you want to check) you would type:

Reboot when prompted.

i think he's already over the basic tools, ie built in windows stuff. his post reminds me of a problem i had with a customer who had bad sectors on one of the drives. i told her i didnt have the software to work with it at that time and did some research... meanwhile i told her she could get a 500gb to replace her 60gb for $90, and she donated her drive to me and i picked one up for her and cloned it. I dont think there is a way to remove or fix bad sectors, its just a sign of a failing drive, the "fix" is to move the sector so that its not used, and theres quite a number of software that does it. narrowing it down to the free ones was the not so easy part. as cheap as drives are these days, when something starts showing bad sectors, just get the data you want off of the drive, its time to put its warranty to use, if not, then $100 gets you 500gb. doesnt fix the problem, but i dont think bad sectors are repairable
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Lamini wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Reboot when prompted.

i think he's already over the basic tools, ie built in windows stuff. his post reminds me of a problem i had with a customer who had bad sectors on one of the drives. i told her i didnt have the software to work with it at that time and did some research... meanwhile i told her she could get a 500gb to replace her 60gb for $90, and she donated her drive to me and i picked one up for her and cloned it. I dont think there is a way to remove or fix bad sectors, its just a sign of a failing drive, the "fix" is to move the sector so that its not used, and theres quite a number of software that does it. narrowing it down to the free ones was the not so easy part. as cheap as drives are these days, when something starts showing bad sectors, just get the data you want off of the drive, its time to put its warranty to use, if not, then $100 gets you 500gb. doesnt fix the problem, but i dont think bad sectors are repairable

I agree with sprkymrk if you are on a windows based machine then running chkdsk is the way to go. If it happens to be a linux machine then fsck should be able to take care of it. Ive used chkdsk many times to "fix" hard drives that had bad sectors.

Run a hard drive diagnostic tool and if it has a reasonable number of bad sectors then you should be able to chkdsk it till its fine. However if there are hundreds or thousands of bad sectors then i would replace it. Additionally i generally will run chkdsk till it eventually says 0 errors found. I had never thought of this before but a previous manager put me on to this. It may actually take running it several times but it should eventually report 0 errors.

lamini - im sure that there are probably lots of free software that will take care of this issue, but i must say ive seen chkdsk fix hard drive and filesystem problems on a multitude of drives.