Options

Vista client cant access network drive on Server 2003.

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys! I am trying to map a network drive and for some reason I keep getting an error when trying to access folders on it off a Vista machine. I can see the tree and folder names etc but I get a error stating:
"X:\IT is not accessible.
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
whenever I try to access the folders...

I have no problem when trying to access the drive under the same profile using a Win XP machine, only on Vista do I get this error. Any insight as to whats going on? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turn off UAC.

Start > Run > MSConfig

- We had this on all of our Vista machine, turning off the UAC sorted it (this is only a solution if you are prepared to sacrifice the added security that UAC provides).
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Luke. I thought that would do it too....
    However, after I disabled UAC, I am still getting the same message... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Is the share on a 2003 server or is it on some version of Linux/Unix (Samba)? I had to lower the LanManager Authentication Level on my Vista laptop in order to browse a mapped drive (I could map it but not browse it) hosted by my Linux based Linksys router.

You can set this in the registry with the information here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

Or through Group Policy:
    Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options
    Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level

I believe that Vista uses NTLM v2 Only by default and may need to be set to use lower levels of LM or NTLM.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Ok, so I can't read - this is on Server 2003 and not Linux

Still, the LanMan Authentication could be incorrect - check the authentication level on your server and Vista client.