Options

Best Test Exam Package (Transcender? Others?)

I am getting my butt kicked with the MCSA Microsoft exams.

I am ready to spend money on test packages like Transcender, {content edited by moderator}., etc.

Which exam package is the best?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, if you are getting your butt kicked as you say, perhaps it is time to grab a MSPress book, review the requirements (one exam at a time) and actually USE the OS and the area being tested before looking for ways to **** to get a cert.

www.cbtnuggets.com and www.trainsignal.com offer some great video training if you need to suppliment your lab study with video.

Otherwise, consider setting an hour a day aside to read through a chapter of a book, or a topic and get to know it.

Some people report transcender is useful. Typically only using practice exams as THE means of 'study' isn't encouraged. The rest of your question will not be taken lightly on this forum as it appears you want an easy way to a papercert icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Well, if you are getting your butt kicked as you say, perhaps it is time to grab a MSPress book, review the requirements (one exam at a time) and actually USE the OS and the area being tested before looking for ways to **** to get a cert.

You think I haven't tried?

I have the MSPress books and I have to stress how useless those books are.

I have spent three months working on a network lab with Windows 2003 running doing the practice questions.

If anybody has taken the Microsoft questions knows that Microsoft has a habit of pulling out subjects that are not in the books!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is usually a good idea to use two books. Besides the MS Press book which one are you using?

Which exam are you working on now?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would anyone be interested (like gundam) in running a simulated VPN network environment? Meaning we could run vpn tunnels between each other (and maybe others) and start setting up domains and such?

Do you think something like that would help?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    You think I haven't tried?

From your original post....No, I didn't think you've tried.
    Post subject:

It is usually a good idea to use two books. Besides the MS Press book which one are you using?

Which exam are you working on now?

There are other publishers, however you left out exactly what you are working on leaving a general publisher as the likely recommendation. Sybex, Meyers (covers some topics), Syngress or others depending on the topic make fine additional choices. As Andy asks, what are you working on?

I have spent three months working on a network lab with Windows 2003 running doing the practice questions.

Only lab? Can you find an aprentice program or intern program to work with a live environment? I've commented in the past at how limiting a lab can be...because a person can easily or even unknowningly make the system break exactly like they want so they can fix it...and it's not a real test. Does it help? Absolutely, but lab alone is not the same as real-life (holy-snikies what-happened-to-the-data) fear the is felt when it's a true do or die scenerio.

And maybe 3 months isn't enough? Sure there is understanding of the basics, but it just may take more time. Just as with a job, it take 4 seasons before the new-hire really fits in.

If anybody has taken the Microsoft questions knows that Microsoft has a habit of pulling out subjects that are not in the books!

Sorry, not an excuse. And there is also the possibilty the questions are 1. BETA and not scored or 2. a lateral test to determine if the candidate actually understands the material or simply read a book...again no idea if those are scored or not (only MS will know).

And you completely ignored the recommendation for www.cbtnuggets.com and www.trainsignal.com If you're looking to learn the material better....both are highly recommended and one more then the other depending on the subject.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote:

Wellllll, sort of, but not enough to fail you if you actually know the material.

Look, I feel for you, it stinks not being able to pass an exam you think you're ready for.
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    I have the MSPress books and I have to stress how useless those books are.

With one or two exceptions the MS Press books are considered the better ones out there, especially by most members of this forum. However, if they are not your style just hop over to amazon and search on the exam number, then read the reviews of the available books.

Transcenders are very good. The other materials mentioned by Plantwiz are also very good. The problem is that Transcenders, CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal are a bit pricey - but if they save you the cost of failing the exam a couple more times they may be worth it.

Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.