Options

would my dell m1330 run server 2003 r2 ?

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was thinking of looking at some of the microsoft certs and was wondering if I partitioned my hard disc and installing server 2003 r2 on the secondary partition

the m1330 i've got has

2.00 ghz CPU (intel centrino Duo)
2 GIG DDR
160 GB Hard Drive
Vista Ultimate
13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) White-LED Display (300 nits) with TrueLife
nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS

The video card was the only think I was worried about it not supporting, anyway if anyone knows that would be great, don't really wanna have to buy a server
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just use vmware and you dont even bother to partition your hard disk, you pc spec allow you to chunk in a couple of servers and clients.
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    doesn't really answer my question but what's vmware does it subtitute for server 2003 and does it help with the microsoft exams?
  • Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    like a Boson router simulator which you can create a virtual lab connecting multiple routers and switches to help you to study your CCNA. Vmware allow you to create a virtual lab with multiple OS connect together virtually in a pc to help you to study your MS cert. You dont have to actually install windows Server and windows xp in seperate pc and hook them up with a network cable. Safe your time, money and space.
    VMware run like a normal sofware and allocate an amount of space and memory exclusively to the OS you have install through VMware, for example if you install windows server 2003 in VMware, it will take up 2 GB of HDD and 384MB of memory (default). The more OS you install and run, the more HDD and memory you need. So, basically, if your have 2GB of ram, you can install up to 4 or 5 windows server and run simultaneously.
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    cool i've installed microsoft virtual PC do I need to download addition stuff to get a virtual 2003 going
  • Options
    could anyone put some links up that the VMware from?

new to this guys, cheers
  • Options
    jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be fine with Virtual PC and, no, nothing additional is required. Usually it comes down to personal preference between Virtual PC and VMWare. Just install the 2003 and you will be fine. I will post a link to several videos about installing application modules with virtual pc.

Here you go:-
    http://www.blogcastrepository.com/blogcasts/folders/windows_server/entry1154.aspx
  • Options
    thanks man that link helped a lot, so I need a copy of server 2003 anyway, that's cool though i'll have to get one
  • Options
    jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks man that link helped a lot, so I need a copy of server 2003 anyway, that's cool though i'll have to get one
    No problem......If you buy the MS Press 70-290 it comes with a trial version.