Options

preparing for 218

fugi1fugi1 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
i was looking at the objectives for the 218 exam and it looks like it's just taken bits from the 210, 215 and 217. I have study materials for those exams, such as cbt videos and books, and i'm thinking studying from those sources will be enough. Can anyone else advise me on the best way to prepare for it?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think 218 is one of the MS exams for which it is important to get some hands-on with the 'skills being measured'. Although the topics are indeed very similar to parts of the 210,215 and 217 exam, but the questions types are slightly different. Most questions are long situation type of questions. Know where you can change certain settings.
  • Options
    When you talk about hands-on experience would you say that labs software is ideal for me considering that i study at home and i don't get the luxury of gaining the hand-on experience needed had i studied at college? I am heavily relying on cbt software and i hope that when i start working i will have some idea of what i'm doing. Can you give me your opinion on that?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although I don't think it is required to pass the exam (it is doable by 'just' reading a book, using CBT) but it will make it a lot easier if you do have a Server running ADS and at least 1 client (XP/2000 Pro) so you can perform some lab exercises. There may also be some questions on the exam that cover the same (210,215,217) topics but slightly more indepth and less theoretical. Considering the cost for a book compared to an exam, I would recommend a 218 specific book.
  • Options
  • Options
    PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    The 218 looks at the administration rather than the engineer design aspects of the MS products. Therefore, the best study is to network some computers together and then break stuff icon_lol.gif For me, this test was all about this feature isn't working how do you get it? or this computer can't talk to that computer, how come?
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    ISBN 0-7356-1581-0

78-218 mspress book, worked wonders for me.

It comes with an evaluation CD for win2k

Try half.com they have the best prices i have found.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.