Options

remote desktop with server 2003

sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've been using remote desktop for a while now with XP. I'm fairly new to Server 2003 and I'm trying to setup remote desktop. Right now I have two xp machines, one server 2003 machine (just playing around with this one) and I'm trying to get my XP machines to connect to the server 2003 using remote desktop. I've enabled the remote desktop and added the users but can't get connected. I've set it up tons of times on my xp setup with no problems. Is there something i'm missing? Do I have to have all Pc's on the same domain? Right now my two xp machines are setup as a workgroup and my server 2003 is a domain. I've even tried changing one of my xp pc's to the same domain that my server 2003 is on and it still won't connect. Getting an invalid ip or computer might be to busy or something like that.. I can ping the server 2003 domain no problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You do have terminal services started on the machines right?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Firewall?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Download nmap for windows and port scan your server to see if port 3389 is open.

nmap for windows is a great troubleshooting tool (another use for it is to find a machine that doesn't respond to ICMP)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I know that the firewall is turned off.. That's the first thing I checked. Terminal services I will check on, is that something that's turned off by default in 2003? Didn't have to enable it in XP. And I will also get nmap and check that port.. Thanks alot guys, will keep ya updated to see if it works
  • Options
    Well, terminal services is on.. I'm not using a firewall.. And for some reason when scanning port 3389 it says it's being used???? Doesn't tell me what's using it though.
  • Options
    stonedtroutstonedtrout Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure but i think my problem might have been diffrent form yours.

I set up server 2003 R2 on old PC i had laying around and turned it into a File server. At first i could RD (remote Desktop) in just fine. then i Upgraded it to a Domain Controller, but had not joined my desktop to the domain yet. When i attempted to connect it would not allow me to. i have not decided what to do with it yet. so i threw a monitor and keyboard on it.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it's a domain controller, you have to add the user you want to connect with to the Remote Desktop Users builtin domain local group.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    If it's a domain controller, you have to add the user you want to connect with to the Remote Desktop Users builtin domain local group.

Hmm, it is a domain controller. My other desktop's are not on the same domain. They are actually workgroup PC's right now. But I did get my laptop to join the domain of my DC and I still couldn't connect. And I was trying to connect using the admin account.

So your saying that I would have to specify which users I would want to connect as remote desktop users?
  • Options
    you mean in here? Cause I already added my users to this group..

remoteusers.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    Venture37Venture37 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Download nmap for windows and port scan your server to see if port 3389 is open.

nmap for windows is a great troubleshooting tool (another use for it is to find a machine that doesn't respond to ICMP)

nmap isn't that great on XP & above as M$ removed raw socket support with XP SP2
    http://seclists.org/nmap-hackers/2004/0007.html
  • Options
    Venture37Venture37 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    an easier way to tell if something is listening on a port is to telnet to it
    telnet mydoorstop 3389

TS will drop the connection as soon you start sending text over the port.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi young,

have you enabled this?

ScreenHunter_02Nov100630.gif

ps : never mind that mouse ;) - the option is below that.

and having correct credential?

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.