Options

Blow air or Vacuum - your preference

PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
Which do you prefer and why? I still cringe at the though of using a vacuum, yet I am still seeing vacuum's being used to clean up around electronics (PCs/Servers). And no the vacuums being used are not 'anti-static' electronic types...they are simply household or industrial vacuums with plastic parts.

I preferred compressed air myself. Now the nay-sayers to canned air complain that this simply blows the dust around to other components. It may but it also moves the dust bunnies to a safer arear to vacuum too.

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks
Plantwiz
_____
"Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?

Comments

• Options
    sinistamunkeysinistamunkey Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Compressed air all the way... I'm not bothered about it's cleaning properties, I'm more interested in it's ability to make fellow colleagues scream when I put the can against the back of their neck after using it icon_twisted.gif
    Just because you can... doesn't mean you should.

Next: 70-536 and then THE WORLD!
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Vacuum in conjunction with gently brushing with small brush. Use an air duster to clear PSUs and any light dust not 'discovered' or easily accessed, but then have the vacuum nozzle nearby to suck it up.

If an airduster is used it can blow dust under electronic components thus reducing airflow to them.

Just my two bobs worth.
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    A soft brush, a cloth, and compressed air. You can't clean the dust out of a CPU cooler or a closed PSU with a vacuum. A small air compressor used for air brushes is good. The air pressure can be adjusted and the air tank has a dryer to remove moisture from the air. The big problem is the cloud of dust that is created, so I blow out cases outside or with a room fan to move the dust.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a garden hose and steel wool. Is that bad?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I gently pick up the dust bunnies, and store them until I get enough to knit a sweater, scarf, etc. icon_wink.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    'anti-static' Vac! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use an air compressor when available. >_<
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    laneh wrote:
    I gently pick up the dust bunnies, and store them until I get enough to knit a sweater, scarf, etc. icon_wink.gif
    I did that when I owned Pomeranian dogs.

250px-Pomeranian_600.jpg
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I use a garden hose and steel wool. Is that bad?

Only if the system is 'on' when you do it icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I consume 2 cans of heinz baked beans and use the power of flatulence to whisk away those stubborn snags of debri icon_rolleyes.gif

I use a air compresser :0
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "