Options

Ever had to pick up someone elses slack?

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
This is just to vent, basically. Maybe you guys have some similar experiences to share.

Going into a new building to do terminations, test and certify the cable runs, put in equipment, etc.

These guys ran all the Cat5 cable through the walls/ceiling. Drywall ceiling and walls, no conduit, and the cable is tied in bundles and apparently stapled in place along the way, so there is no way to pull any slack. They left around 6" of slack to terminate on each end, some less than that.

Basically, there's nothing we can do but terminate what cable is in place. It's impossible to pull the cable on our own due to inaccessibility.

AND they didn't run a backbone line from switch to switch (building to building). We we have 1 piece of conduit, around 150 feet with a line already in it, that we have to pull fiber through.

The good times start tomorrow. I can't wait! icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So they laced the cable and stapled it in place? WTH icon_confused.gif: I sure hope they, at least, used plenum or riser grade cable!

Sounds like good times to me. icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Maybe they were in a hurry to catch the NBA finals :)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    If it's not signed of yet, scream bloody murder. However, if it's already signed off, it's signed off! Nothing you can do about it except pick up the pieces and do a real plan for the future 10/20 years down the line so you don't make the same mistake when you go in.

I was part of a huge new building project 8 new hospital wards, brand new state of the art A&E, Theatres, Xray, ITU, Coronary care, etc, etc. When we looked at the cost o the cabling it was practically tripple what it should have been. We questioned it and they said that before the plaster went on top of it, they had ran each indivial cable through copper pipes!!

YEAH RIGHT !

They won a contract and did the bare minimum to maximise proit. Some smarta$$ along the way stapled it all up so it looked neat and pretty.

Might be worth hiring someone really really small who could gain access and unpick all those staples. You might gain an extra foot or two but that will be about it...
    Kam.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Kaminsky wrote:
    they had ran each indivial cable through copper pipes!!
    Grounded copper pipes are used as cable conduit in nuclear-hardened facilities. That must be a pretty important hospital.