Options

Question on Cisco NVRAM

sbertramsbertram Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi when i try to save my runnning config on a Cisco 1711 router i get this error % Warning: Saving this config to nvram may corrupt any network management or sec
urity files stored at the end of nvram.
Continue? [no]: y

so i hit yes and i get this error

*Mar 5 23:12:00.369: %SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted

I googled the error %SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted
and found a fix and i compress the image. But i was thinking i like to just replace the NVRAM. Is NVRAM like regular ram that i can buy a new stick and through away the old one? Or is this on the motherboard and i to get a new board. If the ram is to much i might just sell this on Ebay as this is a router that Cisco no longer supports.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the output of show flash? You could delete everything that is not your image or vlan.dat and then compress. 16MB of flashmem for a 1700 is cheap. NVRAM is just non volatile meaning it doesn't lose the memory after a powerdown. You could always boot your image from a tftp as well.

I'm assuming this is not a production router.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Hi the output of show flash? is below. How do i delete every thing that is not my image or vlan.dat and then compress? Where can i find 16MB of flashmem for a 1700? We do not have a tftp server setup, i rather no mess with that. This is not a production router, it was until it failed. I like to put it back into production, but not going to if the NVRAM is messed up.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 12894116 c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-7.XR3.bin
    2 3885056 sdm.tar
    3 660 vlan.dat
    [16780024 bytes used, 16512260 available, 33292284 total]
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good luck
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Hi i would feel better with new NVRAM, how much is NVRAM and where can i buy it? Also could you send me a link to NVRAM i like to see what it looks like?
    thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NVRAM is not typically a FRU but it can be replaced, i know on the 2600 and 3600's they are a press in chip.

If you find another broken router take it out of it with a chip puller and then press it into yours :)

This is what it will looklike on the board,
    http://badbiosflash.com/plccin.gif

It should say NVRAM or NVRAM0 and NVRAM1 possibly, depends on how many chips the router has.

hope this helps :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    I did some calling around Thursday and found a few places that said they will fix this for me, beucase i do not have access to any other routers
    thanks for the info