Options

PBX and calling long distance

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Speaking of VOIP, when companies deploy their own PBX, e.g. Asterisk, how do they route long distance calls? Do they pay another provider to route their calls?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At our company we use least cost routing, which means it gets routed over the local telecom's network, but from whichever one of our offices it would cost the least. If someone in Chicago needed to talk to someone in LA, if I had an office in San Diego I could route the call from Chicago over the WAN to my San Deigo office, and use the local telecom in San Diego to place my call to LA, saving $$$$.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    Speaking of VOIP, when companies deploy their own PBX, e.g. Asterisk, how do they route long distance calls? Do they pay another provider to route their calls?

the main thing about VOIP is a reliable network connection. as long as your company's offices around the country has this - you are free to go with. PBX is only a voice router. in case long distance or international call where you dont have a network connection then the only thing is to go with voice provider.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.