Options

DHCP query

pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys

Is it possible through a DHCP server to provide 2 defaul gateway addresses from the same subnet. 1 range of clients got 1 gateway address and others get the other one.

thanks

Pannu Pandit

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In your scope options you can select multiple default gateways ("router" - option 003) but I don't think that will work the way you want it to, as all your clients will then have 2 DG's, and will always try the first one listed.

How many clients use each gateway?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    1 range of clients got 1 gateway address and others get the other one.
    Can we use DHCP class ID option?
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi sprkymrk

Actually I dont want to put 2 gateways on each client machine. I want that few range of clients have 1 gateway and others have the other one. Becoz I want to do load balancing of traffic in some way by using HSRP protocol on switches. So will be using 2 gateways. I just want to assign different gateway address for the clientsn the way that 1 range of clients have 1 gateway address and others have the other one.

thanks
    Pannu pandit
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Hi sprkymrk

Actually I dont want to put 2 gateways on each client machine. I want that few range of clients have 1 gateway and others have the other one. Becoz I want to do load balancing of traffic in some way by using HSRP protocol on switches. So will be using 2 gateways. I just want to assign different gateway address for the clientsn the way that 1 range of clients have 1 gateway address and others have the other one.

thanks
    Pannu pandit
    If this is the case, I would definitely look into the Class ID as mentioned by taktsoi. On the clients you're going to run "ipconfig /setclassid" after you set up the class on the DHCP server.

Check out;
    Set DHCP class ID information at a client computer

How to Create a New DHCP User or Vendor Class