Options

640-801!!! ARGH!

Kcolon1Kcolon1 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just registered after seeing so many people discuss the same issues I have/had. I studied for the 640-801 since 2004 throughout high school. I stopped working on the cert for a year because I got a job in IT so I had to work and pay bills... I sporadically dove back into the certification, but didn't really let anything sink in. After seeing that the last test date is on November 6th. I immediately scheduled an exam on the 6th at 8:00pm... So after work, I'm heading over there... I rampaged through my stuff in my room and pulled out my CCNA stuff which are:

1.Sybex 640-801 Todd Lammle
2.CBT Nuggets CCNA/CCNP
3.Boson RouterSim
4.NetSim 6.0
5.High School Notes

I've been cramming like crazy for the past WEEK! I have one week left until I have the exam and so far I've gotten about 1/3 down packed. I am fluent with the OSI Model, Subnetting, Routing Protocols (RIP, IGRP, EIGRP and OSPF). I need to brush up on Router configurations, Switches, VLAN, STP, VTP, WAN, ACLs.... If anyone can help me - I'd like to know what my studies should focus on... If I'm not mistaken, I should definitely know the following:

Subnetting
Router Configurations
Routing Protocols
Switches (Configs, VLAN, VTP, STP)
WAN
Acess-lists

---Am I at least in the right direction???? I'm so nervous!!! icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget about WAN and frame-relay though. You need to be able to implement all the topics on the fly without going back and referencing your books or looking at command references, or counting subnets on your fingers. Most importantly, don't be nervous. That will make your brain lock up tighter than a stripped nut. Stay loose and clear headed. IF your ready you will pass, if not then you wont pass. No need to get all nervous and anxious. Good luck.

there are tons of great preparation advice posts if you do a search. oh ya, get on cisco.com and watch the CCNA prep vidoes. They are very helpful.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    That will make your brain lock up tighter than a stripped nut.

NS I really like that imagery! icon_wink.gif

Kcolon1-Listen to Netstudent's advice he is right on target! Good luck. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right on track with what was said.

You best know everything you posted.

I took it today and failed. I have been working on studying for about a month and a half now, some days were better than others. It happens when you have a job where you are the only one on call for your position.

Now is the time for you to do a self-evaluation and find out where your gray areas are. Once you know that, you'll know what parts will give you trouble. I did that too late in the game and it bit me exactly in the parts I suspected it would.
  • Options
    Good point! I know I'm strong with Router configs (initial configs) and Routing Protocol set-ups. Basically, I'm strong from Chapters 1-6 in the Sybex Todd Lammle 640-801 study guide. Anything Switch related, VLAN, ACL, WAN and Managing a Cisco Internetwork, I'm pretty weak in. I hope I can learn it quickly in the next 6 days!
  • Options
    Wow, just a quick update - I was on the train (LIRR) heading to work and it take 20 minutes to get to my stop. I pulled out my Sybex 640-801 Study Guide and started to read chapter 7 (Switching and STP) and I'm proud of myself. After 1 year of not reading anything about switches, I brushed up completely on half the chapter and some of STP. I'm at work right now and I hope to finish chapters 7 & 8 (VLANs) today. I'm going to try to spend Friday-Monday doing hands-on and exam sims.

In my room, I have a Router (not sure what series) and a Catalyst 5500 switch under my bed (HEAVY thing). I'm going to try to do some configs on those machines to get the real hands-on, as for routing protocol implementation, I'm going to have to use the Simulators...
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    the catalyst 5500 series are catos switches and do not use IOS - just FYI

I found that cramming and rushing really $@^@$^ my head all up so.

one thing to remember.. its just a $%(^) test :)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!