First post here

phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I have been lurking and studying.

I have been using the Cisco Press books and the Sybex Deluxe ICND book.
For simulations I have been using real gear from the college I graduated from, and the Boson sims.

Took the exam today and wow. What the hell.

I don't even know how vague I can discuss this. Probably cannot discuss section scores. I know the areas I need to study on, and they were the areas that I had concerns with.

I think I got nervous about the time, because I know I could have spent more time in the simulations and probably done better. That said, I should have been better prepared, but how?

icon_redface.gificon_pale.gif

Edit:

Is it possible someone could (if it is allowed!) post a generalization of the section score breakdowns?

Like X % means you suck
Y % means you need to just brush up
Z % means you nailed it

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    amd phreak wrote:
    I don't even know how vague I can discuss this.
    You can't talk about anything you saw on the exam.... and you probably shouldn't mention the passing score since Cisco doesn't publish it (and can change it any time they want).

You can post your breakdown percentages -- but you can say how many question you had in each section.

If the troubleshooting topics got you, check out the so close but so far away thread for some troubleshooting links.

If Implementation & Operation got you, check out this thread and the thread I linked to in there.

Those two topics are the 2 big "hands-on" topics -- usually you need more lab work if those are your lowest scoring areas.

The other 2 topics are more "book learnin'" but something like those "Reference Sheets" you can get from Cisco Press now (PDF files) might be enough of a focused review to get you by.

Figure your "first Cisco Exam Jitters" might have cost you a few points.... so if you're within 50-60 points of passing, you could try after the 5 day waiting period. If you were short 100 points or more you'd definitely have to be motivated (and study hard all weekend) to try and beat the 6 November cut-off for the 640-801

If you are a CCNA Network Academy Graduate -- you do get extra time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Mike.

Without posting the score I am within the 50-60......

I'll post this... it probably indicates that I totally suck.

Planning and Design 66%
    Impl. and Ops 75%
    Troubleshooting 61%
    Tech 76%

Looking at that to me means wow dude you suck.

I knew the areas I sucked in, and I got quized on those. WTF.....

The sad part is I deal with cisco daily, and I do great with that. Pair of 2600's w/HSRP and multiple subnets, 9 Cat2950's w/RSTP.

I have designed a new network for a customer, with a slew of 2800's and 500TT's w/vlans and EIGRP. I had no problem in design and preliminary testing. If I was quizzed on that i'd ace it. I think the test is well....i duno. No comment.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't mean you suck, it just means you weren't prepared. I think a lot of people who have some experience with cisco gear fail to properly prepare for the CCNA. A lot of people think that just because they have field experience, that the CCNA will be a breeze, but that isn't the case. I'm not saying you underestimated it, but in general I see a lot of people doing that. Just keep on studying hard and you will eventually get it.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Yeah.....

Its funny you mentioned that.

I went into this thing telling myself I know nothing (even though that is the opposite) to prevent myself from assuming that. All the way to the end I thought that.

I really want to lick this thing before the new exam, considering I have books for the 640-801. I'd hate to go and spend money again on books because these do not have the nessisary materials in them.

I am guessing the new exam will have SDM materials, and I think SDM is very crappy. I used it early last week to diagnose an issue on a switch (just to try it out) and i was totally confused.
    I could have gotten the information faster using the IOS commands to figure out why the interface was shutdown. Funny part was the study materials barely glance over that type of issue, although I suspect CCNP materials cover it (interface was shutdown due to too many errors, primarily the eth int was flapping. Apperently if an eth int flaps more than 5 times in X seconds it goes into errdisable. Try asking a CCNA person that and they'd be like huh?).
    So i am re-scheduling....

Cisco states 5 days. That puts me on the 4th. That means that it'd have to be the 5th because the 4th is a sunday and the testing center is closed on sundays.

Right?
  • sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is correct.
    Ok, so...

Wife thinks its ok to do whatever at this point. She stands behind me, and knows I need to pass this and the two higher level certs so we can have a good life.... :)

Transcender Practice exams or Cisco reference sheet?
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I took it 3-4 times before i passed.. and i know several people who work with cisco gear on a daily basis and have for 10+ years who it took them 6 times to pass it
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
    Booked again for the 5th just now.

You know what the frustrating part is now, is that I almost feel like I am in limbo. I know the areas i hosed, but its hazy as to how to proceed.
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    amd phreak wrote:
    Planning and Design 66%
    Impl. and Ops 75%
    Troubleshooting 61%
    Tech 76%

This was my score breakdown during my first attempt in September 2007:
    66% - Planning and Designing
    66% - Implementation and Operation
    66% - Troubleshooting
    69% - Technology

If you suck, I suck too!

Guess what, I nailed it down during my second attempt. I might not have as much experience as you. However, I configured Cisco routers day in and day out but I still failed my first attempt. You gotta be confident and well prepared for this exam. Now that you got the taste of this exam and you should know your weak points and focus on them.

Get it over with and stay focus on your second attempt!
    The sky is the limit!
    Thanks.

Yeah working on realizing it is not the end of the world. ;)

As I sit here tonight reading over things, I am recalling the areas that I know that when i answered the question, it was not a good gut feeling. As I push on, I find I am remembering more of the problematic questions so that I can review them further.

How long after your first attempt did you retake?

It is about a week for me.....hope I am not rushing things.
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    amd phreak wrote:
    How long after your first attempt did you retake?

I retook after 3 weeks. Initially I was thinking of 2 weeks but I was advised by one of the members here not to rush it.

For your case, you will have to rush it because you have spent a lot of time on 801, that is understood!
    The sky is the limit!
    Hellzyeah...

I know where I screwed up.

:D:D:D

It feels good to know where i messed up.