Router loosing Configuration?

japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
last night, I configured OSPF on three routers and had everything routing correctly, verified everything working per Lammle's practice exercises on the topic, it was late into the night and I had to get some sleep, in the hope that I'd come back to the troubleshooting section today, well, I came back this evening and all OSPF configurations are gone and only the RIP stuff is in there - mind you, I had deleted RIP protocols and added OSPF protocols with this command:-

# no router rip
# router ospf 64999
# network 102.168.40.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
# network 102.168.50.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
# Ctrl Z

Should I have written these to memory or was the Ctrl Z sufficient?
Any ideas, anyone?

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    after you took the rip out, did you do a copy running-config startup-config?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    japlasma wrote:
    last night, I configured OSPF on three routers and had everything routing correctly, verified everything working per Lammle's practice exercises on the topic, it was late into the night and I had to get some sleep, in the hope that I'd come back to the troubleshooting section today, well, I came back this evening and all OSPF configurations are gone and only the RIP stuff is in there - mind you, I had deleted RIP protocols and added OSPF protocols with this command:-

# no router rip
    # router ospf 64999
    # network 102.168.40.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    # network 102.168.50.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    # Ctrl Z

Should I have written these to memory or was the Ctrl Z sufficient?
    Any ideas, anyone?

You should have written to memory, Ctrl Z is just to exit to enable mode it doesnt save your current config.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:
    after you took the rip out, did you do a copy running-config startup-config?

Nope, that's it, I think. I guess, Lammle's book assumes the obvious - feel like an idiot already -
    I appreciate you pointing that out -was scratching my head as to what else could I do? then I thought... ha! the forums!
    Anyway, I think I will go over that section again, if anything, I'll gain more by doing that.
    Thank you very much.
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That'll get you every time. :)

I kept notes here at my desk to remind me of critical things to do so as to not screw up simple configuration, and copy run start was one of them.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I forgot to do that in a production environment once. You think you felt bad..... icon_redface.gif