Options

Group Policy Question

minindaymininday Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question regarding Group Policy objects used in Active Directory. By default when you create a new GPO for an OU, domain or whatever, Authenticated users are the only group that the GPO applies to. From my reading, when you make adjustments to 'Computer Settings' within a GPO, the settings are applied when the system starts up, but this is where my question arises.

How can computer settings be applied at startup, if only authenticated users can have the settings be applied? If you want the settings to be applied pre-login of authenticated users, do you have to add the computer account to the Security Filtering section of 'Group Policy Management'?

Comments

• Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    An interesting fact: 'Authenticated Users' actually include computer accounts that are authenticated with a DC. So they are included with this group.

Hopefully this clears this up.

-Travis
  • Options
    minindaymininday Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "An interesting fact: 'Authenticated Users' actually include computer accounts that are authenticated with a DC. So they are included with this group. "

Ahhhhh....makes more sense now. So, authenticated users includes the following:

All Domain User Accounts
    All Domain Computer/Server Accounts
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    mininday wrote:
    "An interesting fact: 'Authenticated Users' actually include computer accounts that are authenticated with a DC. So they are included with this group. "

Ahhhhh....makes more sense now. So, authenticated users includes the following:

All Domain User Accounts
    All Domain Computer/Server Accounts

As long as they have been Authenticated to a DC, then yes, you got it.

-Travis
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On a related note, did you know that computer accounts have passwords just like user accounts? Yup - and they get changed every 30 days by default. They also meet complexity requirements.
    All things are possible, only believe.