Considering leaving new job

PenfoldPenfold Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Need some help on deciding what to do, here's the situation. Started a new job back three months ago looking to become MCSA/E certified along the way and my boss was like all fine with this back at the interview stage so great landed a new job right.......no, not so. Turns out I find my boss holds little to no regard to Cisco and Microsoft quals as his point of view is that Cisco is only used in big corps and everything goes wrong with Microsoft in his opinion you don't need certifications just old school experience. He thinks I should carry on studying in college for now but not bother with the exams for a year as gaining more experience is more important but don't know if I want to put the MCSA off for this long and am now considering looking for a new job.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does the job pay well? Do you like it? Are you getting good experience?

Try to work toward both the degree and certs at the same time if you can. Work on the certs on you own time.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Explain that experience is all well and good ( Im not knocking it as some things you'll never ever find in a book ) but it's the 'we dont know what we dont know' factor that often comes in whilst studying for certifications. Explain to him that may be why microsoft appears to go wrong.

Hope that makes sense.

Good Luck
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its a job, and theres NO reason you can't spend off hours studying for those exams regardless of what job you hold. While studying for exams I learn SO MUCH about my current job just by realizing what can be improved, and then having the ability to back it up with facts and white papers to show how we can increase productivity by either implementing one of my ideas, or making changes to a current idea.

Not one boss is going to listen to you as soon as you step in the door. It just doesn't work that way.

Put in the work, continue to study, and then learn and implement.

For example... we don't run Cisco equipment in our office, but I did and continue to study for my CCNA in my off hours and slowly am making my way to writing. Currently I have a contract with another employer for weekend work, helping configure a Cisco ASA device to provide VPN access for offsite workers.

Great! But we're still not using Cisco equipment.

So we have a brand new Sonicwall SSL VPN device here waiting for installation and implementation.

Why? Because I talked to my boss, not as a CCNA, not as a MCSA, but as someone who's experienced in the technology I want to bring to the table, and researched a similar device of which would integrate into our current technology here.

Don't quit a job just because. My boss couldn't even begin to name my certs, but what he can, and does do, is listen to my ideas that stem from the study and research that goes into the exams.
  • PenfoldPenfold Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Andy,

The pays average so its not great or particulary poor, I must admit that there are a few mundane tasks and moments where I'm sat doing nothing from time to time but I'm generally happy. There's no problem studying for my certs its actually taking the exam which bothers my boss for some reason, maybe he thinks I'm going to be having too much time off for this each time but I really don't know to be honest, like I said he just doesn't feel that these certs are that important to obtain.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Penfold wrote:
    maybe he thinks I'm going to be having too much time off for this each time but I really don't know to be honest, like I said he just doesn't feel that these certs are that important to obtain.

I have worked with that type of person in the past. I would study for the certs and take the exams anyway. You will probably have to do most of that on your own time but if you are getting good experience then stick it out while you gain experience and finish your certification(s). When you get certfied it will be easier to find a better job with the exerience you have gained on the job + your MCSA/MCSE to show for it then it would be now. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    doesn't matter if your boss doesn't put weight in them really it should be something you want to accomplish for yourself

get your experience get your certs... even get a degree but do it for yourself not to make your boss happy or anyone else happy. Certs and experience will help you down the road so just because one guy is anti-certification (probalby doesn't have any either) don;t let it stop you

if you want the time off book off an afternoon as vacation or say you have appointment if your allowed time off for doctor or other appointments
    sthomas

This is another problem, I can't take the exams in my own time because I work 9-4 mon-tue and 9-6 rest the of the wk so each exam requires me to take time off work and yes I have already checked to see if the testing centers are available on wkends but this doesn't seem possible. Experience is good there btw despite what I said before about the work as its in the voip field which I understand to be a popular industry right now.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    It MIGHT be because if you get the certs then you could compare yourself to others in a salary survey and ask for more money? Or it could be that if you get more certs your resume may be more attractive to other employers and you could be lured away.

I got no real help with my certs from my boss BUT they were happy to take my knowlege....

It backfired on them bigtime when I left, knowing how it worked, to a company who gave me 5k more for starters.

Do the certs for yourself ( even if you lose a days holiday and the cost of the exam ). Trust me you'll get it back 10 fold in the long run.

:D
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you checked all of the testing centers in a 60 mile radius of your location? I have to drive about an hour to take an exam on Saturday morning.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I could take holidays but seeing as though there are seven exams for MCSE this equals seven occasions off and I'm not sure I could get away with taking a holiday each time after every few months (ok I might get away with one or two). I will also try looking further out as for test centers but I rung Pearson Vue about this a while ago and they advised me that there are only two centers that offer saturday so chances are looking slim.
    Good news, I've found a center which offers saturdays and isn't too far away. Thanks for the suggestion sthomas, sometimes it's the simplest things you overlook in stuff like this.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Penfold wrote:
    I could take holidays but seeing as though there are seven exams for MCSE this equals seven occasions off and I'm not sure I could get away with taking a holiday each time after every few months (ok I might get away with one or two). I will also try looking further out as for test centers but I rung Pearson Vue about this a while ago and they advised me that there are only two centers that offer saturday so chances are looking slim.

honestly it comes down to do you really want this or not. I'm not really convinced you do.. chances are very slim you will write your MCSE in one year.. most fail at least one or 2 exams along the way and the 291 is a real kick in the ass for a lot of people.

unless your either very experienced or have alot of free time and easily grasp things (I know guys who read a book and could recite it almost) you will probalby be doing exams at 1 every 3-4 months.

you have vacation your boss can't tell you your not allowed to take it.. so if you really want to become an MCSE use your vacation for it.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I think some of the other people already hit the nail on the head in several of the post.

1. You will command a higher salary when your review comes up.

2. You have more options for you. With more certs you are able to apply for more jobs. Some jobs still do let people in with no certs, but they are becoming harder and harder to find.

I say do a little bit of both like me. I finished my AA, then I put my enegry towars getting some certs, when I have the ones I'm aiming for, I will go back and finish my degree.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Penfold

no the issue is with your boss; he is insecure. People like that should be shipped to
    the INSECURE island. You scare him because you will know more than he does.

I have seen it my whole life. Inesure fkrs! Excuse my french but these men have ruined parts of my life. And when I get a chance. I tell it like it is!

INSECURE A$$holes!

Dude do your certs at home and never tell him you are taking them get your certs behind his back. sucks to be fake and hide stuff. but this IT World is an eat dog eat world.
    And you have to take care of yourself. When yuo have a job interview witha nother company
    tell hime you need to help your family or do some errands. lie lie lie to these INSECURE men!

I have seen it countless! These are the kind of guys when you say subnetting is important.
    they say ahhhhhh who needs that! or what is that?

just do it and keep your life private until someone cares around you. but
    be alwasy picky on what you say to people Chris Bryant a great Networking CCIE
    say it all by saying when he was working his way up the ladder he had oppoistion on all sides. people at his work mocking him for cert and IT trainining desire to be the best. Screw your boss
    and do your own IT stuff at home and never tell him whatyou are doing!
    but if yuo can finish your college that would be wise.

my 3.5 cents

(can you telll i have some issues with men like that!??
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with most everyones opinion. I cant for the life of me understand why your boss is mad at you bettering yourself by getting certs done. I'm glad you found a test center that does weekends, because that is what I would have suggested.

good luck on your studies, and dont let your boss get you down. DO what YOU want with your career.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Hey thanks for the feedback guys, I kinda got the feeling my boss was insecure but didn't want to blow my own trumpet if you know what i mean, oh and btw itdaddy your not wrong about the subnettin, he does say who needs that lol!!