Options

display problem

rajunplrajunpl Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi pals

I have just taken out the memory card (64MB) DIMM from my old computer, put it back. There is no error beeps but can't see nothing in the monitor. What could be the problem

Comments

• Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    Check if anything is loose inside of your case -- take the ram out again and put it in again, and do the same with your video card.

Also, make sure there isn't anything on the leads on either, and nothing inside the slots (like lint)
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    I have done it. Even when I took the ram out there is no beep codes at all.The video card is on-board based,

I am quite surprised seeing nothing at screen and no beep at all
  • Options
    imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this sounds simple, but first rule, check that power is getting to the monitor, that the fuse in the plug has not blown and that all the cords and cables are firmly in.
  • Options
    I did it. I am plugging the same moniter in my pals computer and everything is perfect. I tried it the otherway round as well connecting my computer in pals monitor nothing happened.

So the moniter is perfect.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Why did you take out the DIMM in the first place?

Did you place the DIMM back in the same bank?

Do you have a spare DIMM that will work in that PC to substitute for the old one to see if the problem is the original 64 MB DIMM?

I don't understand the lack of a beep code--not usual thing to happen.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    Perhaps your CMOS data was deleted because you unplugged your computer case to do the whole operation -- and the battery ran out.

Maybe your computer thinks it's trying to boot to an onboard, PCI, or AGP video card, whatever you *dont* have.
    Try to reset the CMOS if you can.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    did you try the memory module in different memory slots on the mobo?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    duct boyduct boy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is going to be short...............................E.S.D
  • Options
    I did eitherway,I put it back in the other bank didn't work.

If you ask me why did I do it? It was just to see how my mobo is like and I didn't open it since long time.I have finnished A+ course so the reason is obvious.Pretty sad that I don't have much knowledge about hardware besides the exam papers.

In fact I don't even know how to reset the CMOS settings, Is it to take the battery out?
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    CMOS setup requires video. It's a utility built into the BIOS. When the opening screen comes on when you power on the PC, there should be an instruction on the screen somewhere like, "press delete to enter setup" or some other key or combination of keys.

From duct boy
    this is going to be short...............................E.S.D

If you didn't take electrostatic discharge precautions the DIMM may be "fried".
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    rajunpl wrote:
    In fact I don't even know how to reset the CMOS settings, Is it to take the battery out?
    Usually you have to turn off the computer, short the "reset to factory defaults" jumper on the mainboard, turn on the computer, turn it off again, remove the jumper, and turn on the computer again. The guide that came with your mainboard shows where the jumper is.

But yeah... you can also take out the battery to clear the CMOS :) Make sure you unplug the computer first.
  • Options
    thanks all for your help. I will do. by the way my motherboard model is

MS-6340 ver:1
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin